This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filesystem on a usb stick

I am currently running kubuntu 10.04 and want to try out 12.04, and wanted to us a usb stick rather than a cd. First, I installed an ext2 file system on the usb stick. All indications are that this worked. Then I started up usb-creator-kde to copy the iso file to the usb stick. The problem I ran into was that I had to select 'Erase Disk' in order to proceed. 'Erase Disk' allowed the iso file to be copied, and it worked, but doin 'Erase Disk' installed a vfat file system on the usb stick. Can anyone suggest how I can create a live usb disk with an Ext2 file system?

Thank you.

Hi monon

Possibly if, instead of erase, you just format the usb stick and then let Kubu figure it out.

However, formatting a SanDisk will NOT give you all of the memory in the usb stick, there are a couple of threads here about trying to get rid of the SanDisk part and all to naught, so far.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

A "live cd/usb" has to be on vfat ........you can do an "install" on an ext2,3,4 formated usb .......BUT it MAY only boot on the box (or one vary similar)it was installed from

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi guys,

Vinny's comment intrigued me so I thought I'd check some distros that I have on USB sticks.

Knoppix on a Sandisk says: filesystem type: msdos

Midori on a Kingston says it is: filesystem type: ext3/ext4

Kubuntu, on a Sandisk says : filesystem type ext3/ext4

In all cases I "formatted" the usb using a Knoppix live cd to "Fat32" and then just let the distros do their thing for the install.

So... I'm just posting this as observations.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

well hears my observations .

keep in mind these are all *buntu's 1 ubuntu and 2 kubuntu's and 1 mint

this one is ubuntu-11.10 installed (although installed is not actually correct as it's a live cd on usb) with the "startup disk creator"

Model: USB Flash Memory (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sdb: 4037MB
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
          Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
          1 31.7kB 4035MB 4035MB primary fat32 boot, lba
          this one is kubuntu-12.04 installed (although installed is not actually correct as it's a live cd on usb) with the "startup disk creator"

Model: SanDisk Cruzer (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sdc: 16.0GB

1 16.4kB 16.0GB 16.0GB primary fat32 boot, lba
          this one is kubuntu-12.04 "ACTUALLY INSTALLED" to the usb stick with the installer on the live cd

Model: SanDisk Cruzer (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sdb: 16.0GB

1 32.3kB 2097MB 2097MB primary linux-swap(v1)
          2 2097MB 16.0GB 13.9GB primary ext4 boot
          this one is one of the SanDisk Cruzer's that has the U3-system's vertuall cd drives on it the part you can see is the "regular"storage space /dev/sr1 is the vertuall cd drive with linux mint 9 isadora on it

Model: SanDisk Cruzer Gator (scsi)
          Disk /dev/sdb: 3307MB

1 32.3kB 3307MB 3307MB primary fat32 boot

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr1 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr1 has been opened read-only.
          Error: /dev/sr1: unrecognised disk label
          so as you can see it probebly depends on how and what one installes and just what one meens by ...... install

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Woodsmoke, I can't skip the erase part. usb-creator-kde will not let me proceed unless the flash drive is already has a vfat file system. Doesn't make a lot sense to me since ext2 has to be a lot more efficient than vfat

Comment

Working...
            X