X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stream Video doesn't.

Kubuntu 10.04.3 64 Bit
    Firefox 9.0.1 - Installed from Ubuntu repository

I have lost the ability to view streaming videos (YouTube, etc.) The site will load, and when a video is selected, it seems to do all the correct things, but the video never runs. I installed some new software from a source that I believe to be reliable, and I noticed the problem right after the installation. I have now completely removed the software, and rebooted the machine. I removed the version of Firefox then installed, and re-installed the latest version from the repository. Still can't view streaming video. All installs/removals were done using apt-get or aptitude.

There are no useful messages in the system log.

I don't know much about streaming things, so am unsure where to look next, or what to look for.

Any suggestions as to where to look, what to look for will be greatfully received.

Thanks for your time.

William.
    Programmers, with their inbuilt sense of order and discipline should really be running the world.

Do you have the proper plugins for Firefox installed?

Comment

I had a similar problem, my solution was to install gecko-mediaplayer which installs a Firefox plugin for all media formats.

To check your plugins, do the following...
      type in firefox address bar: about : plugins<E> This should show you a list of plugins
      Another method is to use FireFox Menu: Edit|Preferences|Select General Tab| Click Manage Add-ons| Select Plugins
      You should see a list of plugins

You could also check some DIRs to give you a clue as to what's going on (yes, check 3 locations. Why we need 3 DIRs, I don't know)
      /opt/firefox/plugins
      /usr/lib/firefox/plugins (not /usr/lib/firefox-9.0.1/ plugins - empty)
      /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins
      /usr/bin (look for executeable scripts: firefox, firefox.ubuntu check symbolic links, what file do they point to?)

Lastly, check your icon's EXEC= property (view with editor: /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop) Make sure it's referring to the correct version of firefox.

As you can see, leave nothing to chance. Firefox upgrades are sloppy. Bash scripts routinely refer to older versions.

Comment

Working...
      X