This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't use distribution lists ('groups') in kaddressbook/kmail

Did anyone manage to use distributions lists (called "groups") in kaddressbook ?

I can't imagine an email client without this feature, but here it is:

* in kaddressbook I can create a new group and add email adresses in it. Say I call it "Family"

* now I expect to right-click on it and have a menu giving me the possibility of "send an email to the group"...
    nope.

* OK, I go to kmail, new message, and on the right of the address slot, I click on "select". Then ah! it seems I can select my "Family" (now it's called a "distribution list"). I click "Add", and now my recipient is "Family"...
    I'm a bit suspicious, but OK, let's send the message...

of course it doesn't work: I immediately get
    <Family@my-laptop>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied

No kidding ...

* OK, I want to do it again, but now after "select", I am curious and open the "Family" list (by clicking on the "+" on the left). Surprise: most of my contacts in it appear empty (yes, empty lines) !
    But not all of them...So I can't even manually select them all.

* Conclusion: groups of contacts (or distribution lists) are completely screwed up in kubuntu 10.04.
    But this is such a basic and essential tool !

How do you guys cope with this

Re: can't use distribution lists ('groups') in kaddressbook/kmail

so, nobody uses distribution lists in kaddressbook+kontact ?

Comment

This has been driving me crazy as I much prefer Kontact over Evo, but I've been using the latter due to the D-List issue and no Exchange I/F. After considerable digging I've found a solution that at this writing is working for me.

Open a terminal and do the following...

$ akonadictl stop
      $ rm -rf $HOME/.config/akonadi
      $ akonadictl start

This came from the following page...

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting

Given the above, the usual disclaimers apply and YMMV.
      Andy R.
      Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Is this issue resolved in KDE 4.5? I'm using the KDE 4.5 backports on LL.
        @Unhinged: do you know if this fix of yours also applies to KDE 4.5? I don't want to break anything...

My workaround so far was to create 'Templates' instead of groups, with all the addresses filled in and saved.
        When I want to email the group, I would just choose this particular template and start my email from there.

On a slightly different note, in KDE 4.4 my kaddressbook kept loosing contacts, so at some point I simply stopped keeping an address book... do you know if this is more reliable now, in KDE 4.5?

Chopstick

Comment

Unhinged: thanks for the tip. However, may I ask what you mean by it "works" for you ?
          Can you create Ditrib Lists in Kaddressbook that you can then use in Kmail ?

I'm asking because I remember doing this kind of thing (removing akonadi config) but at that time
          it was simply to see my contacts (otherwise the contact list was empty).

Originally posted by Unhinged
          This has been driving me crazy as I much prefer Kontact over Evo, but I've been using the latter due to the D-List issue and no Exchange I/F. After considerable digging I've found a solution that at this writing is working for me.

Open a terminal and do the following...

$ akonadictl stop
          $ rm -rf $HOME/.config/akonadi
          $ akonadictl start

This came from the following page...

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting

Given the above, the usual disclaimers apply and YMMV.

Comment

*bump* on this one. I had all nicely working as expected, have some 6 or so Groups/distribution lists. Upgraded to KDE 4.6 and get exactly the described errors. All my old lists/groups are empty, new ones do not work.

the removing Akonadi config dir did not make any impact.

Aaargh - I think I have recreated these lists at least 5 times and now I can not even do that... >

Comment

Originally posted by Sinclair
              *bump* on this one. I had all nicely working as expected, have some 6 or so Groups/distribution lists. Upgraded to KDE 4.6 and get exactly the described errors. All my old lists/groups are empty, new ones do not work.

the removing Akonadi config dir did not make any impact.

Aaargh - I think I have recreated these lists at least 5 times and now I can not even do that... >
              am actually on Maverick... but problem here is either Akonadi or KAddressbook or KMail

Comment

Working...
              X