This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary Update

Last night I ran my usual apt-get update and dist-upgrade. There were a whole bunch (300+) of packages that wanted to load. What the heck, I mashed the button and went, after all I hadn't run updates in a while.

Well after a LONG run and some strange messages that flashed by, it finally finished. And so was I. Some of the updates I saw were various "4.5.0b" KDE packages. I rebooted, logged in. It took a while, usually does after a big update, and when the hard drive finally stopped I had no hint of a normal desktop. No toolbox, no Kicker, no systray, no theme. I rebooted again; same long run, same no desktop. Went through some more goat-roping exercises trying to find log entries or anything else that might give me an indication of what to do next. Gave up, went to bed.

Today, I said the heck with it. I booted, as far as it would let me. I opened a terminal and rsynced my /home to my backup drive -- successfully. Found my Lucid CD, dropped it in, re-loaded.

A couple of hours later I have my wireless back (b43-fwcutter), Adept along with apt-get is helping me to find old friends and reload them. And my wallpaper is back. A couple more details and I'll be O.K. again. But that was strange. Next time that many packages show up, I'll simulate the load first.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Scary Update

Simulation wouldn't be good enough, normally you'd still need to actually install the packages to notice that something doesn't work properly anymore
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Re: Scary Update

Well, thanks for the good news

What the heck, some clean install experience never hurts. Got completely spoiled by the update to 10.04!!
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
      X