This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

issues 2.6.33 vs nvidia-current Work around

I wanted to try a pae and or realtime kernel and that lead me to this issue with kernel 2.6.33

I thinks its pretty well documented that kernel-2.6.33 kernel modules won't build from nvidia current drivers (I tried 256.44 today it fails too) without being patched. I'm not that proficient.

Anyway I found this thread on ubuntu studio forum
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470264
    from which I was able to find a ppa with patched nvidia/ati drivers and the 2.6.33 pae reatime kernel.
    The following 2.6.33-kernel issues are addressed in the above thread:
    1. NVidia drivers - module fails to build.
    2. ATI drivers - module fails to build.
    3. Broadcom driver - module fails to build
    4: VMWare player - several modules fail
    5. How too manually compile the 2.6.33-rt kernel and headers.

This is the repo that worked for me:
    https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid/
    Note* he has a lot of other packages so apt-get dist-upgrade might not be the best route.

I locked the kernel. nvidia-current, nvidia-current-modaliases and nvidia-settings in synaptic then tested to make sure the packages wouldn't be upgraded against other versions such as x-swat.

I'm not sure what will happen if xorg updates? I'd really like to get 1.8 back but the last couple times I tried it from x edgers it borked my system so I'll stay with the one from x-swat for now.

Anyway I didn't need the pae but wanted to see if it would work better for me as rarely do I even use 1gb of memory with no swap file/drive. I can't tell if the pae is doing much but between that and the reatime I can noticed a marked improvement comparable to disabling desktop effects.

I'm happy!

Re: issues 2.6.33 vs nvidia-current Work around

I haven't installed a realtime kernel since Ubuntu 7.04, and with 64-bit hardware I have no need for PAE. But, the 256.35 Nvidia driver installed with no problem on the recent 2.6.33 kernel. I haven't tried 256.44 yet.

Comment

Re: issues 2.6.33 vs nvidia-current Work around

Interesting I tried the 256.35 and 256.44 versions couldn't get either to build the module against this kernel. I guess I should put more effort into it and build from source. Gotten kind of lazy after a couple of failed attempts. Used to do it on my old Dell dual PIII before SMP kernels were readily available.

Comment

Working...
      X