X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Wireless in KDE - in Gnome works great

Hey guys,
    I need your help, I have a Toshiba Satellite A100, dual core 1.6G with 1G of RAM. I installed ubuntu (gnome) and works great, the entire 100G hdd is used for Linux. I like the way KDE displays everything, lots of eye candy etc. I used Synaptic to install KDE, it installed fine, no issues except:

Now, I find the computer running slower than gnome as the window manager and I cannot get built-in wireless connection to work. I don't know where to start to get it working. When booting into gnome, it turns on and finds my router automagically, KDE wont even turn on.

I am a complete noob when it comes to Linux. I have been with M$ all my life and want to try something different, I like what (K)Ubuntu has to offer and want to use it. I've made the switch and want it to become permanent but I need some help.

I appreciate any help you guys can give!

Thanks!!

Re: No Wireless in KDE - in Gnome works great

Have you checked for hardware drivers and tried enabling it? Also add kubuntu updates ppa and do a total system update.

Comment

How to do I check the hardware drivers? and then enable them? (did I mention I am a total noob when it comes to Linux?)
      Sorry to ask, but how to I add kubuntu updates ppa?

I will do it all, I just need to know how... sorry

Comment

ok, I tried checking the drivers but that app keeps crashing and it won't come up at all. I did update everything and it still didnt work. I did the updates in gnome. Booted back into kde and tried looking for wireless apps utilities to see if that would help. Nothing did.

Do you think I should boot back into gnome, go to synaptic and remove everything kde and then reinstall? I know, I know, that's the M$ way of doing things but I dont know what else to do.

Thanks!

Comment

You wouldn't happen to be the johnv at the Openoffice forum would you?

Anyway, to your problem. If it works in one 'buntu, it should work in the other. However the network manager in kubuntu can best be described as a work in progress. There can be a number of reasons for it not working.

In the system tray at the right of the panel there should be a network manager icon. If you click it a pop up should appear and it should make reference to wireless (either enable wireless or make new connection). IF it's there try to make a new connection. If not you need to do a couple of things. I am assuming no prior knowledge whatsoever

Ensure you have a wired connection
          Hit alt +F2
          In the pane type konsole - you will see the konsole icon appear below. Click it to launch a terminal window.
          In the terminal type
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Hit return/type in password/hit return

That will update the list of packages available to you

Then type
          Code:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          Hit return and you will then be asked if you want to upgrade (it might be a ciouple of hundred packages)
          All available updates will be downloaded and installed. That may well include a complete new kernel which might be enough in itself to fix your problem.

If a kernel upgrade has taken place you'll need to reboot but before you do you may as well type

Code:
          sudo apt-get update synaptic
          Return

That will install synaptic which is the most comprehensive package manager available to us which will enable you to cherry-pick the apps you want to install.

Is it now working? Let us know as there are further things that can be done but lets do the easy stuff first.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
            ...the network manager in kubuntu can best be described as a work in progress.
            You're far too kind. I can't speak of network-manager-kde without using profanity

I strongly recommend installing wicd instead. It *should* remove network-manager-kde but I've seen instances where it doesn't. If wicd won't connect please insure that network-manager-kde has been removed.

As Ian mentioned it's best to do this over a wired connection.

Good luck -
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Hey guys,
              Back from holidays and tried wicd, it worked perfectly!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                You wouldn't happen to be the johnv at the Openoffice forum would you?

Ian

No, I'm not...
                Although I am wondering if that's a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by johnv
                  Hey guys,
                  I need your help, I have a Toshiba Satellite A100, dual core 1.6G with 1G of RAM. I installed ubuntu (gnome) and works great, the entire 100G hdd is used for Linux. I like the way KDE displays everything, lots of eye candy etc. I used Synaptic to install KDE, it installed fine, no issues except:

Now, I find the computer running slower than gnome as the window manager and I cannot get built-in wireless connection to work. I don't know where to start to get it working. When booting into gnome, it turns on and finds my router automagically, KDE wont even turn on.
                  That's probably the fault of the crappy Knetworkmanager, it often causes problems.
                  Open Synaptic and uninstall network-manager-kde, then reboot. Right-click on the desktop, select "Run command" and enter:
                  nm-applet
                  This will launch the Gnome frontend for NetworkManager, which works fine.

To have it start every time Kde starts, go to systemsettings > Advanced > Autostart, click on "Add program", enter /usr/bin/nm-applet in the textbox and click on OK.
                  Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
                  X