This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chromium-browser no sound

I'm running chromium-browser "5.0.375.99 (51029) Ubuntu 10.04" in Kubuntu Lucid 10.04, and I have no sound thru browser. Also no sound using Firefox or Konqueror. Sites with no sound include YouTube, Pandora and mlb.com. I think they all use Adobe Flash and it's an flash plugin problem but I'm not certain.

Sound is thru USB speakers. I've set USB audio as default in sound settings in System Settings. PCM is not muted and is at 80 in alsamixer. I *do* get sound on boot and when I test sound in System Settings.

libflashplayer is installed and, I hope (?) linked correctly for chromium-browser, see following

$ ls -l /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11787664 2010-07-20 11:24 /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

$ ls -l /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 2010-07-20 10:45 libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

I've searched on this forum and tried a bunch of things, like installing pulse audio, no joy. Anyone know how to fix this?

Re: chromium-browser no sound

I think it's the USB speakers -- you might need the snd-usb-audio module. Restart your system, immediately do

Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-usb-audio
    then start your browser and see if there's any difference. If you still have problems, install padevchooser and pavucontrol, open padevchooser and make sure the "speakers" output device is enabled, and then open pavucontrol and make sure the speakers device is not muted, and has the volume turned up.

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: chromium-browser no sound

The problem is solved and I now have audio thru the browser(s) .... tho
      I'm not certain I know what solved it. The snd-usb-audio module was/is
      installed and loaded, and both padevchooser and pavucontrol were/are
      installed.

I think the problem involved padevchooser .... it didn't seem to start
      right and I reinstalled it. I then fooled around with padevchooser options,
      and I think that enablling "Start applet on session login" was the one that
      did the trick.

I note that in my research I found a number of postings indicating
      that Pulse Audio on Kubuntu was problematical ....

Comment

Working...
      X