Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] kdesu + any gtk app = no gtk style at all?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] kdesu + any gtk app = no gtk style at all?

In kubuntu the gtk applications has QtCurve style.

But when using kdesu, gksu or sudo to run gtk application as root, it has no style at all. (uses the ugly default style of gtk.)

Also, if I use ssh -X localhost then run any gtk application, it also falls to the default style.

Any work around?

Re: kdesu + any gtk app = no gtk style at all?

Maybe with this (earlier > Synaptic and the Kubuntu):

As default the QtCurve is working for an ordinary user but when you are using the Synaptic (or other GTK applications ) as the root /8/ the theming is the GTK. To fix this you need to copy the hidden file .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 (note the dot !) from your home directory to the /root/ with yhe name .gtkrc-2.0 (note the dot !) so the "root" /8/ can use the QtCurve /6/, /7/. Konsole:

Code:
    sudo cp .gtkrc-2.0-kde4 /root/.gtkrc-2.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I'm not sure if this is what you're after but I simply installed and then ran "gtk-chtheme". This meant that any gtk applications that had required a password -- and therefore had the ugly gtk appearance -- are now consistent with all other apps.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks, the above works for gtk apps on local machine.

But when we do ssh -X into another kubuntu computer, gtk-chtheme does not work because there's only the default theme there.

Why there are no QtCurve theme? (Both the local and the remote machine are Kubuntu)

EDIT: I did that by manually installed the qtcurve theme

So gtk-chtheme generally works.

Comment

Originally posted by miKeyBabid
          I'm not sure if this is what you're after but I simply installed and then ran "gtk-chtheme". This meant that any gtk applications that had required a password -- and therefore had the ugly gtk appearance -- are now consistent with all other apps.
          You have to run gtk-chtheme *two* times - once as normal user, and once as root (kdesudo gtk-chtheme). The latter is neccessary so any Gtk apps run as root (e.g. Synaptic) have the QtCurve style as well.
          Also note that you need to have the QtCurve style set for the root account in Kde first, or it won't work. To do that, run "kdesudo systemsettings", then in the Appearance options, set the QtCurve style and make any customisations you need (you can export your QtCurve settings as normal user into a file and import them here), then press "Apply". Also set the proper colour scheme here, the root account uses a separate colour scheme from the normal user.
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
            Also note that you need to have the QtCurve style set for the root account in Kde first, or it won't work.
            It works for me, i.e. gtk-chtheme works even if I didn't set qtcurve style for root account in KDE at all.

Comment

Working...
            X