This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automatic updates

When I installed 10.04, I was asked if I wanted auto updates. The default was yes. I left the default.

Since I have had a few auto updates and find that I am uncomfortable with them.

I would like to disable auto updates and have not been able to find any way of doing so.

How can I change this??

I may find that I will revert to auto updates, but for now would rather not have the s/w doing things without my permission.

Re: automatic updates

Maybe this / Earlier

> Topic: Disabling automatic security updates?
    >> Bug #586497: kpackagekit install security update in automatic mode without authorization
    >>> [ubuntu/lucid-proposed] kpackagekit 0.5.4-0ubuntu4.3 (Accepted):
    Fix patch kubuntu_06_no_automatic_updates.diff to make it apply Closes LP: #586497
    I can't say if the bug is fixed as i dont have the KPackageKit with the Lucid > Topic: Changing defaults: Removing KPackageKit

Software properties settings

K > System > Sofware Management (KPackageKit) > Settings > Edit Sotware Sources
    or
    K > System Settings > Add and Remove Software > Settings > Edit Sotware Sources
    or
    Alt+F2 and "kdesudo software-properties-kde"

[img width=400 height=292]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4748/softwaresources.png[/img]
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Maybe this / Earlier

> Topic: Disabling automatic security updates?
      >> Bug #586497: kpackagekit install security update in automatic mode without authorization
      >>> [ubuntu/lucid-proposed] kpackagekit 0.5.4-0ubuntu4.3 (Accepted):
      Fix patch kubuntu_06_no_automatic_updates.diff to make it apply Closes LP: #586497
      I can't say if the bug is fixed as i dont have the KPackageKit with the Lucid > Topic: Changing defaults: Removing KPackageKit
      Just had another round of unasked-for automatic security updates an hour ago or so, so either it's not been fixed or it's broken again on the current KDE 4.5 beta release.

Comment

Two things:

Following the links above I finally found the way to TRY and turn off automatic updates. I would NEVER in my lifetime have thought to look under "Edit Software Sources" for the settings for Kpackagekit. Whoever thinks up the titles for Kpackagekit buttons must not be an English language speaker and the translator isn't either and they have absolutely no idea on how to title buttons.

Upon finding the method to turn off the automatic updates, I find that Kpackagekit already thinks the automatic updates are turned off. So this must be another bug in Kpackagekit that hasn't been fixed.

I totally fail to understand why the Kubuntu developers insist on staying with such badly written software. This is, what, the 2cd, 3rd or more release with badly flawed package retrieval software and they seem to insist on staying with it?? Doesn't make logical sense. So I guess that means there must be some back office politics going on. What does Gnome use as the Kpackagekit equivalent?? Does it work under KDE?? It must be better since it seems unlikely to be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
          I totally fail to understand why the Kubuntu developers insist on staying with such badly written software.
          Who knows? I haven't bothered with KPackageKit since Intrepid blew up on me.

What does Gnome use as the Kpackagekit equivalent?? Does it work under KDE?? It must be better since it seems unlikely to be worse.
          Synaptic, and many here at KFN seem to like it quite a lot.

If you don't mind using the command line you should try apt-get, or aptitude (my personal favorite package manager.)
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I love Synaptic and use it when I need to install a package. Much, Much, Much better. Why Kubuntu doesn't use Synaptic as the default package installer is way beyond my pay grade.

Now, how do I instruct KDE to use Synaptic instead of Kpackagekit??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Telengard
            I totally fail to understand why the Kubuntu developers insist on staying with such badly written software.

What does Gnome use as the Kpackagekit equivalent?? Does it work under KDE?? It must be better since it seems unlikely to be worse.
            Synaptic, and many here at KFN seem to like it quite a lot.

If you don't mind using the command line you should try apt-get, or aptitude (my personal favorite package manager.)

Comment

I love Synaptic and use it when I need to install a package. Much, Much, Much better. Why Kubuntu doesn't use Synaptic as the default package installer is way beyond my pay grade.
              Because Synaptic isn't a KDE program. It is a Gnome program.

Umm, sorry but I don't know what you mean by that. You just click the Synaptic button in your K menu.
              Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Same here, Synaptic is clearly better.
                The only other instance where a Gnome app is better is with the network manager applet (Knetworkmanager is utter crap).

There's no special instruction neccessary. Open the K menu, enter "syn" and click on the Synaptic link. Alternatively, you can right-click it and select "Add to panel" for a quick access link in your panel.

I guess it's the same reason they stay with that Knetworkmanager crap >
                Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

You can uninstall KPackageKit to remove the autoinstall problem, I thought that was fixed at some point, though I don't know if the fix has made it out of the -proposed repo yet (the "Pre-Release Updates") I have been getting security fixes since then.

Unfortunately KPackageKit is the only usable KDE based package manager (with apt support) out there right now. but we do have alternatives. I personally use KPK for a good majority of my package management tasks

As to KNetworkManager, again, what KDE based app can replace it? Remembering that Kubuntu is both KDE-centric, Ubuntu based (meaning it used the NetworkManager backend) and a single-cd distro (the iso image is about as full as it can be)

I recommend trying out plasma-widget-networkmanagement . This replaces the current applet, and though it is a snapshot version, it works quite well as compared to the current one. Again, there are alternatives if the standard tools do not work.

(I must just be lucky as between 2 laptops, 1 desktop, and 3 different wireless chipsets among 4 cards, I have no problems with knetworkmanager itself, just some hassles surrounding the drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    I recommend trying out plasma-widget-networkmanagement . This replaces the current applet, and though it is a snapshot version, it works quite well as compared to the current one. Again, there are alternatives if the standard tools do not work.
                    Is that plasma widget an entirely different app, or based on knetworkmanager? If the latter (which I suppose), there would be little point in trying it out.
                    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Why? if the interface works better at interfacing with NetworkManager, and both looks better and provides more useful info and is easier to use? It doesn'y hurt to try, and it might just work for someone, as it seems to do for a lot of folks.

The default knetworkmanager, the gnome apple, and the plasma widget one are all different gui interfaces to the NetworkManager backend

Comment

Because Synaptic isn't a KDE program. It is a Gnome program.

Umm, sorry but I don't know what you mean by that. You just click the Synaptic button in your K menu.
                        Currently Kpackagekit informs me (usually) when an update is ready through the little "i" on the panel. How do I replace that functionality with Synaptic instead of Kpackagekit. Maybe Synaptic isn't designed to automatically poll the repositories and notify of updates. If that is true, then that would explain why Kubuntu retains Kpackagekit.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3103514.0

Comment

Open Synaptic, click the Refresh button, then click on Mark all updates. If any updates are avaiable, the Apply button will become enabled. Click it to download and install the updates.

Comment

Sorry no longer valid

Comment

Working...
                              X