This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact contacts/kaddress book, distribution lists/groups

If you google this topic, you will see there are a lot of frustrated Kontact users out there. (There was also the additional frustration concerning "lost contacts" due to the transition to Akonadi, but the solution to that will be found on the link below.)
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112175.0

Whereas Kontact used to do approximately what it was supposed to do, though there were quite a few bugs, it no longer manages distribution lists. True, this is something the developers promise to remediate, but for the time being, you will have to forget about distribution lists. Sad but true.

Tonight I downloaded and tried Thunderbird, which I used before I moved to Kubuntu. However, I removed the repository after having played with it for only a couple of hours because it cannot hold a candle to Kontact, in spite of the missing distribution lists (in fact, the entire Contacts module is rather poor). Kontact is less buggy than it was, it just lacks that particular functionality which many people including myself need. The calendar function is excellent, and integration with Kopete is very useful. The Kmail module is clean and straight.

So how to live with that missing distribution list function? Some issues can be solved by tweaking. Googling this issue, however, gives me the impression that I must rely on an interim solution that has nothing to do with programming. (By the way: copying the list of contacts from a "group" will not work, as each recipient must have its own recipient "box". My interim solution has been to "compose" a message, add the recipients one by one, and save the message as "template". This method will serve well for small lists, but is, I admit, too time-consuming for long recipient lists.

I hope this suggestion can help some of you.

Re: Kontact contacts/kaddress book, distribution lists/groups

Thanks for posting this, kle!

I was already going nuts about this distribution list problem! Using Templates works for me.

The wicked thing is, the buttons and options all seem to be there, but all my contact groups simply end up empty after I created them. But when this finally works, Kontact will be pretty powerful!

One more thing: when you compose a message there is a button were you can select contacts from a list - this list also has a couple of old distribution lists, which otherwise have gone lost (i.e. they don't show up in my addressbook). Here it works so expand the distlist in the list and highlight/select all contacts in it, and they are properly copied into the address fields. So some old lists are effectively working, but I can't add new ones... Any thoughts on this?

Btw. I'm not using Akonadi - I can't get it working, despite many efforts...

EDIT: It seems I got Akonadi working now (as far as Contacts are concerned), following this guide:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3112175.0

Comment

Working...
    X