This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't stay asleep, immediately wakes back up

I just installed 10.04 and everything works great except sleep. The machine can sleep and hibernate but when I sleep (suspend to RAM aka S3), the machine falls asleep and wakes back up after about three seconds. Does anyone know what could cause this? Can you suggest anything I could try that might fix it?

I have an Intel DG41TY with a G41 chipset, a Core 2 Quad CPU, and a Radeon HD4350 video card. I haven't installed any proprietary drivers or anything weird, it's a stock install.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Won't stay asleep, immediately wakes back up

I just noticed that if I unplug the ethernet cable, it will stay asleep. Could Kubuntu be set to wake on network access? Is there any way to turn that off?

Comment

There might be an option for it in your BIOS setup?

Comment

Just in case anyone else is having the same problem, I thought I'd share my solution. My ethernet port was set to wake on any network access. You can set it to normal behavior with "sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol g". This will make it only wake up if if gets a wake-on-lan packet.

Unfortunately the ethernet port does not remember this setting between reboots, so I had to create a file in /etc/init.d that turns it on at boot. I had to use some command line tool to enable the new file as a startup script. Here's what the file looks like:

#!/bin/sh
        ### BEGIN INIT INFO
        # Provides: wol
        # Required-Start: $network
        # Required-Stop: $network
        # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
        # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
        # Short-Description: Fixes WOL
        # Description: Fixes broken wake-on-lan
        ### END INIT INFO

/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g
        exit