This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove background image from KDE 4 Taskbar

There doesn't appear to be any way to remove the background image for the KDE 4 taskbar. I can't believe this isn't possible, it's such a basic thing. What am I missing?
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: How to remove background image from KDE 4 Taskbar

You'll need to change your plasma theme. The background is set as part of that, but you can change it to something different without a background image.

You go to System Settings>Appearance>Style>Workspace

There you will see a listing of plasma themes, and the option to get new themes. I use Aya, as it's pretty simple and it picks up its colors from the system colors. Since my system colors are dusty purples, I hadn't had any luck finding one of the fancy plasma themes with the backgrounds that match my color scheme... but I also like my panels and windows pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
      You'll need to change your plasma theme. The background is set as part of that, but you can change it to something different without a background image.
      Thanks, I've installed Aya and it looks good. Boy, they sure weren't thinking about usability when they designed this. So far, KDE 4 is not too impressive from a user friendliness viewpoint.
      I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by beckfield
        Boy, they sure weren't thinking about usability when they designed this. So far, KDE 4 is not too impressive from a user friendliness viewpoint.
        Keep in mind, that you've limited experience with Linux (so far); that you've been using KDE 3.5; and that KDE 4.4.2 (I'm using KDE 4.4.3) is very different from KDE 3.5.

I remember my first exposure to KDE 4 and 'plasma' having been quite comfortable with KDE 3.5.10. I just gets some getting used to. But, I think, that if you stick with it and allow yourself to learn how KDE 4.3.x and plasma are put together, you'll find that it's pretty good.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I absolutely love KDE 4 and plasma. I think it's pretty darn easy to work with, though I can understand the frustration over the plasma themes and panels. Until I found Aya, I was frustrated that I couldn't make my panels match my window and window decoration colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Keep in mind, that you've limited experience with Linux (so far); that you've been using KDE 3.5; and that KDE 4.4.2 (I'm using KDE 4.4.3) is very different from KDE 3.5.

I remember my first exposure to KDE 4 and 'plasma' having been quite comfortable with KDE 3.5.10. I just gets some getting used to. But, I think, that if you stick with it and allow yourself to learn how KDE 4.3.x and plasma are put together, you'll find that it's pretty good.
            I appreciate the encouragement, really. I am trying to give it a chance.

But I hope there are some people seeing this that have some input into this project. My career has been in the computer field for nearly 20 years, from software technical support to software (and user interface) Quality Assurance testing, all in the DOS and Windows 3.x - Windows 7 world. I don't mean to sound presumptuous or conceited, but if I'm having this much trouble figuring out a user interface, there's a serious problem. If the promoters of Linux want this OS to take any significant non-techie market share away from Windows or Mac, they must pay more attention to user friendliness, and the learning curve. As much as I'd like to, there's no way I would put Linux on my mother's system. I think the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 was a much more radical shift than KDE 3.5 to 4.x, but it was loads easier to get a handle on.

Okay, rant over. Sorry.

Comment

No 'rant' at all.

I've observed that the biggest hurdle to overcome for many making the foray into Linux, is their belief that Linux, especially a KDE variant, is a "free" version of Windows. It isn't. Never was. Isn't intended to be. But, that mindset persists. And if one can't let go of that mindset, the struggle to learn Linux is more than it otherwise needs to be.

But also, Linux isn't everybody's cup of tea. For that matter, neither is Windows (can you say Mac?). Give yourself some time. Accept that KDE 4.4.x and Plasma "isn't your fathers Linux any more."
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I hear you Beckfield. I've been in and out of computers for many years, too. And you're right, Linux and KDE 4.3 are not all that intuitive. When I installed KU10.04 it went fine, but then you pretty much have to scour the Internet to find some geek's "post-install" blog about how to tweak your system to get it to do things you want. Sure, some of them are complete and easy to use if you're a old unix-dog, but it's pretty scary territory for a true newbie. For example, I've got repositories now I'm not truly confident about. So I'll ask, is there a post-install tweak page that's trustworthy, complete, robust, and user-friendly?

But then Ubuntu probably doesn't have millions laying around to devote to look-feel-usability polishing. Personally, I'm on Linux because of psychological imprinting. Back when I was in college, all the "big kids" had Sun, SGI, etc. "workstations" with monster CRTs, networkings, etc., while we plebes just had our little toy PC computers running MS and Apple. If you were one of the chosen few, you could work on one of the Unix systems, otherwise you just worked on what the secretaries had: PCs. So yeah, the whole Unixae aura glows ever bright in my heart. I'm getting my 23" screen next week -- and then I'll really feel like one of the big boys of yore. :P

But yeah, most people reading this can't even fathom what I'm talking about. They grew up with slick Win and Mac OSs/software and they don't really need "true" software, i.e., software that hasn't been hacked/ported to work on MS/MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                  You go to System Settings>Appearance>Style>Workspace
                  There you will see a listing of plasma themes, and the option to get new themes. I use Aya, as it's pretty simple and it picks up its colors from the system colors.
                  Thanks, I have been looking for a solution for this little but annoying problem since days!

Comment

Working...
                  X