This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kgpg and gpg failure to encrypt

I have posted the bug as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/390311

After a fresh install of Kubuntu 10.4 a couple weeks ago, I added gpg2 and edited my KMail configuration to use my old key, which was accepted for both signing and encryption. However, sending an email to my self I found that my passphrase was not acceptable for decrypting, while it was acceptable for editing the key!

So, I revoked my old key and created a new 4096 key. Replacing the old key ID in KMail with the new Key ID I find that KMail accepted my new key ID to sign with but it refuses to accept that key ID to encrypt. The recommendation from the nabble link does apply, since I can insert my new key ID for signing, but even though my new key is the only key on my ring KMail refuses to allow me to use it as an encryption key.

When I use Dolphin and attempt to encrypt an ascii file I get the "[GNUPG:] INV_RECP 0" error msg and the attempt fails.

When I use gpg from the command line gpg refuses to recognize either my short or my long ID:

jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ gpg -e lindalshw.txt
    Enter the user ID. End with an empty line: **************
    No such user ID.
    gpg: no valid addressees
    gpg: lindalshw.txt: encryption failed: no such user id
    I have revoked my new key, and removed kgpg and gnupg and gnupg2 until they get the bug fix.

EDIT: Opps! I guess I won't be removing gnupg because it wants to remove the entire desktop if I remove it.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Kgpg and gpg failure to encrypt

Hi,

I Couldn't get kgpg to work either but installing Kleopatra works well and integrates with kmail.

Hope this helps

Comment

Kleopatra...
      A certificate manager. Can I create my own certificate, or, who issues a certificate and how is its security maintained? IOW, I've read too much about how certificates can be faked or forged. Guess I should do a little more reading.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi,

You can generate your own keys either from within Kleopatra or from the command line using:-
        • gpg --gen-key

Kleopatra integrates into kmail and is available from kmail->Tools->Certificate manager documentation is here::-
        http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdepim/kleopatra/

I can't seem to find a definitive answer, but Kleopatra seems the to integrate better with kmail and Dolphin. Is this the preferred certificate manager rather than kpgp

Either way I have gnupg and gnupg2 plus Kleopatra installed, generated openpgp from command line which then shows up in Kleopatra. I can encrypt files in Dolpin and sign and decrypt files in kmail.

I couldn't get kpgp to work properly in kubuntu 9.10 and found Kleopatra through kdepim - I've stuck with it in lucid.

Comment

I came across this thread while googleing for a solution. It sounds like we had the same problem. I could add my key to sign but not allowed to add it to encrypt in KMail. My solution was to use a key manager (GNU Privacy Assistant in my case) and change the trust on my own keys from "Unknown" to "Ultimate." I was then able to add my key in KMail to encrypt. Hope that helps someone.

Comment

While I had no problem using the CLI, I prefer to use a GUI. ds_shellback's recommendation of Kleopatra solved my problem.

Comment

Working...
            X