This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch compositing type

I'm running kubuntu 10.04 on an hp laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility X600.

Using OpenGL I was unable to get transparency - I like transparent windows when I'm moving them around - so I switched to xrender. That was a big mistake.

Xrender is seriously slow - takes 6 seconds to generate the "logout" confirmation box - but when I try (very slowly) to change the compositing type back to OpenGL, I'm told:

"Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
    Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type."
    I've tried changing every one of the advanced options, but it still won't allow me to choose OpenGL.

So... How do I either get Xrender to work at a half decent speed, or revert to OpenGL? (I'd rather have a useable machine without desktop effects than transparency but unworkably slow...)

Re: Switch compositing type

Hello.
    I have exactly the same problem. And the same error message.
    Now I can't back to OpenGL.
    I have an ATI HD 5770.
    My music!

Comment

Hello. I just hit the same problem. Did either one of you figure out how to get back to opengl for compositing? Thanks.

Comment

Run the following command in terminal:
        Code:
        sed -i 's/Backend=XRender/Backend=OpenGL/' ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
        Logout then log back in.
        ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Working...
        X