This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) 10.04 Upgrade Removes AbiWord

When I upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04 from Kubuntu 9.10 the upgrade removed AbiWord and a message said Canonical Ltd no longer supports AbiWord. Does this mean I can't or shouldn't use AbiWord anymore. AbiWords website is still up http://www.abisource.com/

AbiWord is a great word processor. I'd be lost without it. Thanks for any help.

Re: 10.04 Upgrade Removes AbiWord

If it's available from a PPA, then you just need to add that PPA, update the package cache, and reinstall AbiWord.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I know this sounds like a dumb question but what is a PPA?

Comment

Personal Package Archive (PPA)

PPA for AbiWord Stable Builds

The approach here, would be to add the PPA from the above link, update the package cache, and then do a simulated install of AbiWord (sudo apt-get install --simulate abiword) to see if it will install without error. If the simulated install doesn't report any errors, then install it for real:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install abiword

Comment

In Synaptic should I put a check mark on http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner? AbiWord is still in Synaptic.

Copy and past from one app to another doesn't seem to work anymore. Things are getting strange here.

Comment

If AbiWord is still listed in Synaptic, just mark it for installation. You don't have to go through adding a PPA.

Comment

Ok, good and is kword just the KDE version of the OpenOffice word processor?

Comment

In a word, yes.

Comment

Oh shucks. I'll install AbiWord then. Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) 10.04 Upgrade Removes AbiWord

If you run into any problems, you know where we are.

Comment

Working...
                    X