This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancelot?

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find Lancelot under add widget

Re: Lancelot?

You need to install it from synaptic, it wasn't pre-installed. It's working fine for me now.

Comment

Anyone Know why they would take this out? Its been shipping with kubuntu for a while now..

Comment

Who knows what goes on in the minds of the devs/packagers. But, decisions have to be made, and made they are.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

May have been for space reasons, like shipping an installer for Firefox rather than the browser itself. Space runs out on a CD/R quick when dealing with a distro

Cheers

Comment

True. Space is a significant limitation when deciding what packages to include in the distribution .iso. In my own opinion, the Kubuntu crew continues to opt for inclusion of way to many packages that really are not required or necessary. I have always felt that a 'core' set of packages should be shipped, leaving everything else for the end user to install. This 'core' should be built around:
            • Boot environment - The LiveCD should boot to any connected display automagically using VESA and/or Framebuffer by default if it can't detect/recognize the GPU. You only get once chance to make a first impression. And upon boot, if VESA or Frambuffer is being used, inform the end user of this fact.
            • Sound - This is a must. Functioning sound must be provided.
            • Office Productivity - oOO
            • System Utilities - Goes without saying
            • Networking - If it doesn't work 'out of the box,' then include the tools (not the non-free drivers) with precise, easy to follow, instructions on how to get the network interface working. This should be an 'in your face' utility after the desktop has loaded.

Honestly, this is what should be concentrated on when developing a distro. The principle of KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid - ensures that the initial user experience is a good one. If you can 'see' what you installed; if you can 'hear' what you installed; and if you can 'connect' to the Internet, then everything else is going to be a relative walk in the park.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X