X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Kontact from autostarting

Hello,
    Having been a long-time Ubuntu user I decided to try and move to Kubuntu. 10.04 is working great so far, but I do have one small but annoying issue.

Whenever I log in I get asked for my password. If I don't enter it it's all fine, but if I do Kontact starts. I don't plan on using it, so I'd like to stop it from starting (or, if it's important to KDE, stop it from appearing and asking for a password).
    I tried to look in the autostarting window of System Settings and in ~/.kde/Autostart but it doesn't appear in either so I guess it's starting because of a different reason.

How can I stop it, or just hide it?

Re: Stop Kontact from autostarting

By default, kde will start any application that was running when it was shut down. So, you need to make sure kontact is not running before shutting down kde.

When you see the kontact window, choose File - Quit. It will probably leave an icon in the system tray, which may need to be expanded (hit the arrow in the system tray) to find it. Right click the icon, and choose quit. Next, hit CTRL-ESC to bring up the system monitor. Mkae sure there is no kontact process running; if there is, kill it. You may also want to check SystemSettings > Advanced > ServiceManager, and make sure kontact is not listed under startup services. If nothing else works, goto SystemSettings > Advanced > SessionManager, and enter kontact on the bottom line where it says "Applications to be excluded from sessions".

Then log out and log back in, and see if that gets rid of it.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Stop Kontact from autostarting

Experienced the same issue. Found this solution http://agateau.wordpress.com/2008/12/16//. It resolved the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X