This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is LTS?

Yes, I know what LTS stands for: long term support. But what I'm really asking is: Does anyone know the criteria by which an LTS is defined? To me I had hoped that LTS would mean that there would be upgrades for that version until the next LTS was released -- the exception would be if major new features were added (such as plasmoid desktop).

I've been using Kubuntu since 6.xx and have always upgraded to the latest stable version. But I was getting tired of always tweaking things and thought that sticking with an LTS would be worth a try. However, since installing LL (10.04) I have been rather disappointed with the amount of problems I've faced -- the main ones being the instability and bug ridden versions of KDEpim. To me, KDEpim is a large part of what Kubuntu is. Now I have read many postings about these problems (including here in Soapbox), but I have never understood what the criteria are for pronouncing a specific version to be "LTS".

What is disturbing is, that it appears to me, that there may be a separation between the programmers and bug fixers, and the individuals that set the long-term goals of KDE. Why I say this is because I see that there are areas in the KDE development that are WAY behind in their demands (and this may not be any fault of the programmers). But the result is that bureaucracy has overtaken the development of KDE. If this is so, it would be very unfortunate. I would like to see a quality product put out -- especially when it is a LTS, and then I would like to see continued support in the same way that the most recent versions are updated. As for me and my situation, it appears that I will have to upgrade to 11.xx because many of the fixes that I must have done will not be done in 10.04 (i.e. kde 4.6 cannot be used on Lucid). I would really like to see that KDE developers (i.e. leaders) stop pushing just for the sake of meeting a deadline and instead focus on making a quality product rather then setting unattainable goals.

This is my little soapbox... Does anyone agree? Or do you have further insight or clarification into this situation that would help me to understand what is happening?

Re: What is LTS?

I agree with about 50% of what you wrote.

Canonical is one organization and they have, I believe, published their LTS criteria and rationale. It is not to keep all the included packages updated, unless for security reasons. KDE is a different organization, on its own strategy and timetable. So I don't agree that Canonical's LTS philosophy is to blame for anything that happens or fails to happen in the KDE camp. Would it be nice for users if Canonical strapped it's Kubuntu release strategy more closely to major KDE releases? Probably so, but they never said they could or would.

KDE's PIM has been notoriously suffering from under-development in the past year or two, and I'm not real familiar with all the impediments or problems they have had with it. All I know is that, to be half-competitive with MS Office, KDE must get the PIM working and integrated fully.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts dibl.

Originally posted by dibl
      I agree with about 50% of what you wrote.

Canonical is one organization and they have, I believe, published their LTS criteria and rationale.
      I did a quick search for this published statement, but found nothing. If you have the web-address handy I'd appreciate it, so I could review it's contents.
      It is not to keep all the included packages updated, unless for security reasons. KDE is a different organization, on its own strategy and timetable. So I don't agree that Canonical's LTS philosophy is to blame for anything that happens or fails to happen in the KDE camp. Would it be nice for users if Canonical strapped it's Kubuntu release strategy more closely to major KDE releases?
      Well put. At this time I don't want to blame anyone... I'm really appreciative of everyone involved with KDE and Kubuntu. I'm just stating that in my opinion there's room for improvement... even though the Canonical doesn't strap it's Kubuntu release strategy more closely to KDE releases, I would think it could (and should) be more in their control, to coordinate their releases. And it could be as simple as better communication between the organizations (and the users) and an awareness of the roadblocks, which would lead to developing a better product. (But my knowledge about the interaction of these organizations is totally unknown... for all I know this process may be currently happening.)

Bottom line: It is my opinion that, ultimately, the quality of KDE (esp. KDEpim) reflects upon the quality of Kubuntu.

Comment

Check out the part where it says what LTS is not:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

But I totally agree that Kubuntu is dependent, for better or worse, on the quality and stability of KDE, including KDE PIM, which has been problematical in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Check out the part where it says what LTS is not:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
          I'm a little confused. Does this describe the Kubuntu mandate for upgrades and LTS... because it's a Ubuntu site?

But I totally agree that Kubuntu is dependent, for better or worse, on the quality and stability of KDE, including KDE PIM, which has been problematical in recent times.
          Just a thought: maybe KDEpim should have remained in the Kubuntu beta repository, even though KDEpim itself has come out of beta. I guess if I had my way, KDEpim would never have come out of beta since KDE4 was released.

Comment

Working...
          X