This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu for everyone?

Linux for the home user of computers? Not Kubuntu, anyway. I have been using Kubuntu for some time now. I am not a good hacker but I prefer it over Windows, even with the problems I have had recently. I bought a laptop on Black Friday, an HP G62-347NR. After registration thru Windows, I installed 10.04 LTS. The onboard speakers did not work, the microphone did not work, and the HDMI port did not work. I enabled the backports repository and upgraded the ALSA driver which got the speakers working. The mic and the HDMI still did not work. Just today 12/9 I got the mic working based on what I saw in the Kubuntu forums. The HDMI port still does not work.

The point is that my wife or my mother would never have been able to use completely this computer with Kubuntu 10.04. Heck, I still cannot use it all. In addition I cannot get the akonadi server to work with Kaddressbook. Kubuntu is not ready for prime time. It is okay for those who want to hack around, but not so good for those who would like the install to work out of the box

Re: Kubuntu for everyone?

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with 10.10? It seems much more stable than 10.04.
    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
      Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with 10.10? It seems much more stable than 10.04.
      I am in agreement with this. I'm using 10.10, and I've noticed no major problems, other then the minor software tweaking issues that all OS's have. In fact, I'm duel-booting XP and Kubuntu, and cannot do half of what I do with the Kubuntu then I do with the XP[though that might be because it installed funny]
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Originally posted by monon

The onboard speakers did not work, the microphone did not work, and the HDMI port did not work. I enabled the backports repository and upgraded the ALSA driver which got the speakers working. The mic and the HDMI still did not work. Just today 12/9 I got the mic working based on what I saw in the Kubuntu forums. The HDMI port still does not work.
        Dude, why do you think they provide a Live CD (which can also be installed on a bootable USB stick)?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
          I was thinking of 10.04 as the Long Term Support version and that if I don't want to mess installs every 6 months, it was my best choice.

Comment

What video components does that laptop use?

HDMI is a function of video output and therefore the video driver used. While drivers are available for use with Linux, some of them are actually commercial, closed source products and cannot be legally distributed with open source software. So if that laptop uses Nvidia or ATI video components, it will be necessary to separately obtain the correct drivers.

It's the same old story, although that story is getting better, Linux is at the mercy of proprietary software or the ability of small groups of people to engineer a functionally correct piece of open source software for certain hardware. It has been that way for a long time, and will be until Linux has greater acceptance and therefore a larger customer base.

It's not Linux's fault, nor is it specifically *buntu's fault. It's the old chicken or egg question.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

unfortunately LTS does not mean Long Term Hardware Support

You could try installing the non-free fglrx driver - your laptop seems to have an ati Mobility Radeon HD 4200; in theory the free driver *should* support HDMI for this gpu , however being a laptop, the kernel itself may have problems with it. A livecd of 10.10 would be worth trying, and do remember non-LTS still have 18 months of support.

Comment

I was thinking of 10.04 as the Long Term Support version and that if I don't want to mess installs every 6 months, it was my best choice.
                That's why I chose and stay with 10.4 as my main OS. I play with Maverick and the others as a guest OS using VirtualBox.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Kubuntu is not ready for prime time. It is okay for those who want to hack around, but not so good for those who would like the install to work out of the box
                  Hi...

I certainly understand your frustration as I have been there myself. I concur with jglen's summary of the problem although it does seems to have greatly improved between the time 5.10 was released (when I first attempted using Linux as my sole OS,) and now. I was surprised to see how well 10.04 supported the hardware on my HP dv9830 when I first installed it.

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                  How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    unfortunately LTS does not mean Long Term Hardware Support
                    True, and installing an Alpha, Beta or Gold release of the latest doesn't always mean the hardware previoiusly supported will remain supported, nor does it mean that the newest hardware is supported.

Today I encountered examples of both problems. I've had a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer for years and since I bought it there was always support for it in CUPS. Yesterday my new HP LaserJet Pro P1606nd laser with duplex printing arrived. I deleted my samsung printer in CUPS and plugged in the new laser in its place. I ran CUPS to install the P1606nd and found that the PPD wasn't listed. I had to download the PPD file from HP's site and select it during the install.

Then, I changed my mind and decided to restore my Samsung (it was on my wireless print server) and move the HP duplex to my laptop as a local USB printer. Using CUPS to redo the ML-1210 configuration I discovered that it wasn't in the list of printer configurations available! I downloaded the PPD file from the Linux printer support site and got it working.

Executive summary: older printers often drop off the support list and the latest printers often aren't on the list yet. Fortunately, I was able to find the PPD files on the Internet, but I was wondering if I had purchased too new a printer.....
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ya know....I really do not understand what the "problem" is....I mean, I push a distro just about as far as a distro can be pushed in terms of hardware....

and hardware is ALWAYS a problem.....

and Kubuntu, AS IT STANDS NOW...does just fine....

I would not have said that two years or so ago...........the thing just crashed all the time...but then I run from what "used to be" the absolute latest and greatest hardware to the absolute OLDEST....

And ya gotta remember...........the old woodsmoker is older than dirt!!

and if it couldn't do both then...."I'm outa here!!"......but Kubuntu this last few months has gone above and beyond....

Now..........will it run the latest scanner made in some obscure country where the don't even have scanners to use themselves..............um..........maybe not............

but.........

Here is the question................

Search for woodsmoke's posts...............

Do you see any whining about this or that not working?

Can you possibly think why that is?

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Linux for the home user of computers? . . .
                        I've had similar problems setting up a full desktop system for someone else to use. I know how you feel. It's not always easy.

However, I took on the job on my own volition so it is my responsibility to make it work. The alternative would be to pay someone else to do it. There are people out there with the skills to set up your system and I'm sure some of them are looking for work. I personally won't use Microsoft OSs for various reasons, but if I did then that would not necessarily solve the problem. Installing any OS is not without issues. Most MS users plunk down their money and get a completely configured system right off the shelf, so that solves that problem. We could do the same, but unfortunately just like the MS users, we would also have to pay. Perhaps you were you hoping to save a few bucks, but have you looked into getting a pre-configured linux box?

The point is that my wife or my mother would never have been able to use completely this computer with Kubuntu 10.04. Heck, I still cannot use it all. In addition I cannot get the akonadi server to work with Kaddressbook. Kubuntu is not ready for prime time. It is okay for those who want to hack around, but not so good for those who would like the install to work out of the box
                        Have you ever put a drive with a MS OS on it into a new box? Try it some time. You will get so many errors it will make your head spin - if it runs at all. My point is that there is no modern OS out there which is "ready for prime time". They ALL need to be configured and someone has to do the work. The question is who will do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                          Have you ever put a drive with a MS OS on it into a new box? Try it some time. You will get so many errors it will make your head spin - if it runs at all.
                          I have and it can be an interesting experience.

Regards...
                          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
                          X