Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who are running (K)ubuntu lucid on aspire one netbook, this is for you

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who are running (K)ubuntu lucid on aspire one netbook, this is for you

In all my headaches, and being a pita on these forums, I must say I have finally found the pot of gold. I run an Acer brand Aspire One netbook, always pushing the limits of it's hardware, trying to make it do anything, because the FOSS community has given me that ability. I don't need no stinkin windows 7, nor do I need mac OS X. I have been happily using linux for one year now, and I must say I have never had so much frustration, yet so much fun, debugging, researching, experimenting, and showing off, what the GNU/Linux OS & Kernel can do, being that it is so versatile, and so incredibly functional, and feature rich, that I cannot stand to run anything else on this machine, or any other machine that I own. That being said, this is my shout out to all of you in this forum who have helped me, and who have not helped me yet. THANK YOU for being kind and patient, and eager to achieve, as close to as possible, perfection, on my netbook computer.

For all of those who have an Acer Aspire One netbook, with a known Atheros AR5007EG series wireless card built into the computer, and have signal drops under heavy load, this is for you...

The issue of why the Atheros card loses, or drops signal, is a poor support in ASPM for that particular chipset. Please refer to this link for more information regarding the topic of ASPM http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/ASPM. Not all Atheros cards are effected by this, but it just so happens that the particular AR5007EG chipset in the Aspire One netbooks are effected the most. The kernel devs have now recognized this, and have now implemented the fix in the latest 2.6.35 kernel. Since I am running Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS, I opened a terminal and typed...

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.35-2.6.32-25-generic

make sure that your kernel version matches the 2.6.32-25-generic above. Currently that is the version I am using right now. To know what kernel version you are running, type...

uname -r

This should fix your signal drops, and dmesg messages stating "ath5k: unsupported jumbo" a few times before dropping the signal. I discourage anyone using the Aspire One netbook, to use ndiswrapper, as it causes hpet to go nuts, and eventually cause a total system freeze up. The only way out is to enable the sysrq key on your keyboard to the kernel, and type alt+sysrq+R E I S U B, starting from R to B in sequence. Otherwise risk corrupting your file system, or recking your harddrive hard shutting down like I did a number of time before I figured out I should enable this feature of the kernel. Note, that if you key this combo in, and you know you did it right, and the computer is not rebooting, than you have a more serious issue, and that the kernel is frozen too. At that point you will have to hard shutdown no matter what. Just remember to try all the tricks first. Ctrl+Alt+F1, through Ctrl+Alt+F6, to pull up a virtual terminal, much like the terminal you would bring up in the GUI. If that does not work, and you have no desktop GUI activity at all, then try the alt+sysrq+R E I S U B key combo. If that doesn't work then your screwed.

The link that introduced me to this fix is:
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/a...or-ubuntu.html

This bug has effected me since I first installed Ubuntu lucid lynx, and I am so glad that I have finally squashed it. Anyone who is interested in this topic, and would like to understand it more, by all means reply, and I will be more than happy to help. Thank you all, to the Kubuntu Forums .Net community.
    Acer Aspire One AOA150 Model, Sapphire Blue<br />System BIOS 3310<br />Intel Atom CPU 1.6 GHz<br />DDR2 RAM 1.5 GHz<br />Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS

Re: For those who are running (K)ubuntu lucid on aspire one netbook, this is for you

A KFN member with a problem is never a PITA. I'm happy to hear that you found a/the solution. This brief write-up of what others with your problem can do to resolve it is appreciated. Thank you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: For those who are running (K)ubuntu lucid on aspire one netbook, this is for you

odd all the aspire ones i have seen (including my emachine em250) came w/ a broadcom wifi chipset . granted i have only seen 3, also i have replaced the card in mine w/ a atheros 9k chipset.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X