X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Konqueror-users?

This topic is just 'cause I'm curious

I'm curious how many people actually use Konqueror for almost everything. I hear so many people about using Firefox, Opera and Chromium (and I must admit that I use Chromium myself too) and since Konqueror is the default KDE-browser, I was wondering how many people actually use Konqueror as the default browser for almost everything.
    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Re: Full Konqueror-users?

I use Konqueror as my default browser, and FireFox for sites that Konqueror isn't able to work with.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not really a Konqueror user since it doesn't deal with several technologies that force to use either Firefox or Chromium and maybe Opera, I also tried Arora but I'm not convinced, yet. The one I dislike is Rekonq for depending on some GTK libs... In that case I'd prefer to use Konqueror that depends on KDE only libs AFAIK. Actually I think I install it on Mave since it only included Rekonq. I guess that's still a vote for Konqueror. Besides Konqueror is more feature complete that Rekonq IMHO.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I am (was rather) a full-time Konqueror user for a number of years, sometime post-hardy iirc. Always have FF ready for the few sites that give me fits (ebay and amazon are examples, as well as some flash sites)

I say was, as I am currently using Rekonq full-time. In Lucid I switched at around 0.5 release, and went to using daily builds. Now running Maverick full time, I am finding Rekonq as much a good replacement for Konq in most cases as Konq was a replacement for FF. Flash sites work better, and despite past reports of crashiness, it has been solid in Maverick for a while now. Sometimes it seems to be slow to begin loading or downloading a page, but otherwise it is pretty quick

The only issue so far, and it could be considered a big one, is the lack of spellcheck

The gtk dependency was removed from Kubuntu packages post-0.5 (maverick) but those were only there to provde some feature, but cannot remember what - probably flash related.

Comment

I don't think so, claydoh, I installed Mave and it really installed the gtk dependencies... I even installed another Linux distro with KDE 4.5.1 and it forced me to install gtk, too, because of rekonq.
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...ntu1/changelog

kubuntu patched the gtk build deps out, and as newer qtwebkit was released, this negated the need for gtk and the patch was removed. The gtk dep originally was a workaround rekonq used for flashplugin issues, So perhaps the other distro is using an older qtwebkit, or did not patch rekonq to not pull it in. I don't have any gtk deps other than what firefox and Openoffice need - and are installed by default in kubuntu.

Comment

I use Firefox for browsing but have used Konqueror without difficulty.
              I do, however, prefer to use Konqueror as my main file manager and have avoided using Dolphin.
              Another "however" ...
              However, after Kubuntu 8.04, it seems that Konqueror has not worked so well for identifying one's storage media. Specifically, Storage Media is not available on the surface, and identification of devices using standard Linus "sdxn" notation does not pop up automatically as it did in the past (in Konqueror). (Dolphin, of course, has the same issues, and one is forced to label their drives to identify them.)
              So, I am using Konqueror as file manager, but I'm also still on Kubuntu 8.04.3 to do so.

I recall in 2005 that Konqueror was one of the main attractions to me that got me to dump XP (with Windows Explorer file manager) and start using Kubuntu instead as an OS.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@mike, I was using Dolphin to do some file management work when I read this, and decided just to take a screenie and post it. I label my partitions, as you can see, and find Dolphin very functional for general file management. This is KDE 4.5.1 -- happens to be running on aptosid today but it's the same on Kubuntu.

[img width=400 height=333]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2613/dolphin18sep2010.png[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                  I use Firefox for browsing but have used Konqueror without difficulty.
                  I do, however, prefer to use Konqueror as my main file manager and have avoided using Dolphin.
                  Another "however" ...
                  However, after Kubuntu 8.04, it seems that Konqueror has not worked so well for identifying one's storage media. Specifically, Storage Media is not available on the surface, and identification of devices using standard Linus "sdxn" notation does not pop up automatically as it did in the past (in Konqueror). (Dolphin, of course, has the same issues, and one is forced to label their drives to identify them.)
                  So, I am using Konqueror as file manager, but I'm also still on Kubuntu 8.04.3 to do so.

I recall in 2005 that Konqueror was one of the main attractions to me that got me to dump XP (with Windows Explorer file manager) and start using Kubuntu instead as an OS.
                  I have 2 partition's on my drive that are NOT in fstab and not labeled and thay both show in dolphin or Konqueror as 30 GiB hard drive & 4 GiB hard drive just like in dibl's screeny .
                  now those are partitions on a single HD but I would assume that it would be the same for a different HD as well.

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Dolphin works OK IF YOU LABEL the drives so you can identify them and keep those labels straight as you re-partition & so on. A pita for multiple drives and dozens of partitions.

Konqueror (after 8.0.4) will, of course, list your drives, BUT it will not identify them as being sdxn's.

I only tried this s* a thousand damned times you guys, but ... maybe it's changed for the very, very latest versions ... ?
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice to hear that there really are full Konqueror-users out there
                      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

the issue here with drive identification is that post-hardy, the system does not identify drives using the /dev/foo per se as the main identifier. My drives are listed the same way in Nautilus Dolphin, etc in any distro I have used so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                          Dolphin works OK IF YOU LABEL the drives so you can identify them and keep those labels straight as you re-partition & so on. A pita for multiple drives and dozens of partitions.

Konqueror (after 8.0.4) will, of course, list your drives, BUT it will not identify them as being sdxn's.

I only tried this s* a thousand damned times you guys, but ... maybe it's changed for the very, very latest versions ... ?
                          Aaaa you are correct of course ......they only show as 30GiG 20Gig 10Gig NOT as /dev/sdxy if not labeled

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hmmm. Thanks Claydoh. Interesting. Either I was not aware of this change or was aware but misplaced it in my aging brain.

So how are drives recognized in Linux now, if not be sdxn's? Of course, I realize that externals and flash drives play differently, but I'm thinking now of fixed, internal drives/partitions that stay with the machine each time it boots up.

If anyone stumbles upon references to such, I'd appreciate your leg work if you care to post. I'll also try to dig into this (as time allows).

Konqueror:
                            Post Hardy, I was unable to get Konqueror to produce any kind of intelligible listing of my drives (e.g., Storage Media) as it had in the past. Very unclear, very unpredictable. I tried in 8.10 and I think in 9.04 and 9.10, then gave up.

Labels:
                            You CAN label a partition as, say, sdb8, for example, and it will pop up that way (Dolphin, Konqueror), but if you have many to do and/or as you re-partition, it becomes a real pita to manage/do housekeeping on it.

Comment

look at your fstab, and you will see uuid's
                              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID
                              http://beginlinux.com/blog/2009/04/uuid-in-ubuntu-904/
                              Though Hardy uses uuids as well, I don't know exactly what made everything change - other than perhaps bug reports from those who kept having their drives' 'move' as other devices were added/removed

Comment

Working...
                              X