X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 problems

In general I like Kubuntu 10.04, but I have 3 persistent problems:
    1) Knetwork is a little unreliable. I had to set up another connection directly to my IP address since the Auto one doesn't connect. I have to do this manually (no big problem) but sometimes the program crashes, and I have to reload the program and try again. I tried to send a crash report, but was told I didn't supply enough data so that ended that.
    2) Google Earth works fine except for the text boxes which are opague with a white background; as the font color is white, all you see are white rectangles. I can't figure out how to make the text boxes transparent so the white print can be seen.
    3) Sometimes the Adobe Flash Player crashes on both Firefox and Chrome.

Any suggestions?

Re: 3 problems

Originally posted by oldgeek
    In general I like Kubuntu 10.04, but I have 3 persistent problems:
    1) Knetwork is a little unreliable. I had to set up another connection directly to my IP address since the Auto one doesn't connect. I have to do this manually (no big problem) but sometimes the program crashes, and I have to reload the program and try again. I tried to send a crash report, but was told I didn't supply enough data so that ended that.

FIRST, install ALL of the files with "wicd" in their name. Should be about five of them.

THEN, completely remove the following packages:

modemmanager
    network-manager
    network-manager-openconnect
    network-manager-openvpn
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-vpnc
    knm-runtime
    network-manager-kde
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement

then reboot. When you come up configure your wireless connection.

2) Google Earth works fine except for the text boxes which are opague with a white background; as the font color is white, all you see are white rectangles. I can't figure out how to make the text boxes transparent so the white print can be seen.
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...b7b42a9a&hl=en

My qt.conf file under googleearth has:
    [PATHS]
    Documentation=/usr/share/doc
    Libraries=/usr/lib32
    Plugins=/usr/lib32/qt4/plugins
    Translations=/usr/share/qt4/translations
    If yours just has "[PATHS]" then you could add something similar to mine but based on your architecture.

Another possibility is to make sure you have mscorettfonts installed.

3) Sometimes the Adobe Flash Player crashes on both Firefox and Chrome.
    Any suggestions?
    I'm using the 64bit player. That only happens to my FF (I don't use Chrome) when I try to load a page that has several videos on it, like the BP Oil page showing the video feeds from the rovers. Don't know what we can do about it. Perhaps a reinstall? Using gnash may not be any better,or even worse.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      FIRST, install ALL of the files with "wicd" in their name. Should be about five of them.

modemmanager
      network-manager
      network-manager-openvpn
      network-manager-pptp
      network-manager-vpnc
      knm-runtime
      network-manager-kde

@GreyGeek: i had to do same thing in 10.04.
      but yesterday i reinstall 10.04.1 on my complete hard disk. i just had to remove network manager completely using synaptics. and the problem of "bad password" was gone. i guess wicd fixed it
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

KNM and wicd cannot exist in your installation at the same time and have your wireless work. It appears that certain files in knm interfere with wicd's authorization process. It used to be that when you installed wicd from the repository it would also remove knetworkmanager and all of its associated files. Since near the end of Karmic adding wicd DIDN'T automatically remove knm. Simply uninstalling KNetWorkManager does not, unfortunately, remove all of its associated files.

So, one must install wicd first, while using the knm connection, then uninstall ALL the knm files, dependencies, and recommended files. That breaks your wireless connection. You must reconfigure your connection using wicd. Then it will connect because knm files are not there to interfere.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

modemmanager
          network-manager
          network-manager-openvpn
          network-manager-pptp
          network-manager-vpnc
          knm-runtime
          network-manager-kde

Just wanted to thank you for this very helpful bit of info. I've been away from linux a few years because I couldn't get the wireless to work at all. Tonight I finally got the adapter to "see" the networks around me, WOOHOO!, but then almost fell back into winbloze depression with the "Bad Password" message. The above quoted info has made it possible for me to renew my interest in the free world of linux I started to explore over a decade ago playing with raw debian. Now I can spend more countless hours searching the forum for answers to other mind-bending puzzles.

Tnx again GreyGeek.

Comment

Working...
          X