X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lucid needed more time and thought before calling it LTS

Originally posted by Telengard
    Surely you must recognize my user name and avatar then
    Now I do! A warrior with a sword and shield and helmet with a feather (?) on it?

I've often wondered what your avatar meant and couldn't make heads of tales of it. Sort of like that picture that if you look one way is a couple of old hags but another way is a wine glass, except I couldn't make heads or tales of your avatar until you mentioned C64
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I split "A cry of pain" to a new topic to avoid hijacking this thread.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ok I have used Kubuntu a few times now and have never gotten the hang of it. I was using Ubuntu Lucid but I wanted something a little more, pretty. So Kubuntu did it for me! But a few things erk my noodle about it. My bar at the bottom of the screen, you know the one with the time and menu, when I installed it used to be grey, now its all black and grey, like when you had a super nintendo as a kid and somehow your game hit a color glitch, well so did Kubuntu, it dont bother me though, if I move it to the top of the screen it turns grey but the bottom is weird. Then there is the desktop widgets with the folders and bouncy balls. They never stay where I put them, they always snap back to the default location, with the exception of the bouncy ball. I do not like the KPackageManager, it sucks hardcore. Synaptic is much better. At first Kubuntu was a little confusing to use, all of this new stuff just hits you and your brain cant function right. A little "Welcome to Kubuntu Lucid Lynx" tutorial would be nice at the first boot. But overall I am very satisfied with what they have done with it, I like it much more than Gnome Ubuntu. KDE Rocks my socks off! =-]
        David
        "All. Senior. Citizens. Should. Have. Life. Alert."

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Personally, 'rants' serve no useful purpose, especially in a forum that exists for 'helping' Kubuntu users.
          I agree. Ranters are also entitled to a FULL REFUND and don't have to return anything.

Actually, a good bug post is worth a million rants. Most ranters rarely post bug reports. As a Google engineer said, in a "TED TALK", they become "poisonous users".

Comment

I have only been messing with Kubuntu for a year or so, and all I can say is that 10.04 runs alot better on my machine than 10.10. I don't know what they did to it, but they sure screwed it up. 10.04 looks better, has nicer kpackageit and system settings panels and runs 10 times better than 10.10 on my Acer 9410 and 3680 and my HP/Compaq 6910p.All laptops.

I have 10.04 installed on a (1) usb 30gb hd and run it on all 3 of the above machines (switching between them) with not a problem in looks or performance on any of them. I love the old layout of panels and controls.

I am SORRY I waisted a disc burning 10.10 to it. Very !!!! disappointed with 10.10 and will stay with 10.04 till end of service life. Hopefully they will make a future kubuntu that runs as well or better and looks as good in the way of control panels,settings,and kpackageit like 10.04 by then.

Acer 9410, 1.6 intel dual core, 2gb ram,320gb hd
            Acer 3680, 1.6 intel celeron single core, 1gb ram, 250gb hd
            HP/Compaq, 2.0 dual core, 2gb ram, 500gb hd
            All with intel graphics

krezkey

Comment

Working...
            X