X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative access to repositories to get needed files when can't connect

Hi all:

I finally installed Kubuntu but I've run into some really annoying problems that really aggravate me.

In summary: I have the infamous Broadcom problem. So I can't connect wirelessly but when I try to connect via an EARTHNET cable, I can't modify the /etc/network/interfaces because I don't have gedit

I tried using KATE to modify the file but I can't because it's in read only. So I've asked for help to suggest an alternative to gedit.

I've been putzing for 2 weeks to get a connection.. All this time I was wondering why isn't there an alternative to accessing the repositories to get that 1 missing file?

It would've been so convenient to go to the repositories via the website and ask for a 24 hour password, then download the BROADCOM driver to an alternate computer and finally copy the driver to a thumb drive so I can then install it in my KUBUBTU machine.

What I found- and still find so aqggravating is that it there always one minor stumbing block after another just to do something relatively straightforward.

xavier

Re: Alternative access to repositories to get needed files when can't connect

In summary: I have the infamous Broadcom problem.
    Hmm, I haven't seen many problems with broadcom chips lately, do you mean getting the firmware (b43-fwcutter package)?

1. to edit write protected files, you need to start kate 'as root' (same goes for gedit). You can do that with kdesudo, example:
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
    2. Are you using networkmanager? It's been a while since I've used it, but it should connect to a wired network if you just plug in the cable. Depending on your network setup (dhcp or static, etc.), you may need to edit networkmanager settings to follow your setup.

3. If you're going to connect "manually" by editing /etc/network/interfaces, you may need to disable networkmanager (if you have it running) so these won't conflict each other (can't tell for sure since I don't use networkmanager).

4. If you are following some instructions to get your network up (as you mentioned gedit, which is a gnome editor), you might post a link so we could take a look whether those instructions are still valid (and correct for kubuntu).

Comment

kubicle:

Thanks for the instruictions and sorry for the delay. Here's the http://forum.kubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=401938 link. It's the French KUBUNTU/UBUNTU forum where I'm getting help

xavier

Comment

Just follow my instructions here to get your wired internet connection working.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Working...
        X