Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial enthusiasm at KDE faded into disappointment...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Initial enthusiasm at KDE faded into disappointment...

Originally posted by mauricep
    - I get several application crashes per day. So many that I long ago stopped filing bug reports. Is this normal for KDE?

Any ideas anyone?

Maurice
    I have a couple of applications that crash regularly. One is Kontact. It hasn't worked reliably since they went to akonadi on the back end. It will work for a while, sometimes up to a week, but frequently it crashes several times in a day and I have to blow away the database to get it to start.

There are a few other problems too, like HandBrake that has to be killed and restarted after each run. I think this is only in the most recent version of HandBrake because it was never like that before.

Yeah, there are problems. It's generally been stable, though. I believe you're experiencing more problems than KDE is responsible for.

The move to back end software like akonadi in a general release before they are stable is a bigger problem for me. I love KDE, it's been my primary desktop since 1999, but am about to dump it for the stability issues it has had lately.

I run KDE on three systems and have enjoyed it for years. Recently, however, I picked up a laptop with Windows 7 home premium, Office 2007, and Visio 2007. It's like a breath of fresh air in how stable it is. I'm not about to switch whole scale to Windows but I'm certainly going to start spending some time with gnome.

Comment

Working...
    X