Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moved from Sidux but Lucid has no polish for LTS.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved from Sidux but Lucid has no polish for LTS.

I installed Lucid after having been a Sidux user for a while on my desktop. However, I am starting to wish I'd stuck with it.

The main problem is performance or lack of. Compared to Sidux, everything seems slow. After a couple of hours it gets even worse and everything starts to move like treacle. I am not using anything special - just the typical firefox, openoffice, kontact.

For an LTS I was hoping for more polish. Dolphin crashes often. OpenOffice on Kubuntu is a disaster. Opening or saving files takes over 30 seconds. If this is down to the QT openoffice interface then I do wonder why this made it into LTS? Particulary, as I understand this issue is still ongoing from the Karmic release.

Re: Moved from Sidux but Lucid has no polish for LTS.

I upgraded from Karmic to Lucid and everything is fast and rock-solid stable for me, and I don't exactly have a state-of-the-art system: Athlon XP 2600, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 7800GT 256MB. I can't say what's contributing to your problems.

That said I did uninstall the OpenOffice add-on several months ago because it does slow down the OpenOffice load/save dialog, but other than that, everything works perfectly. Just run "apt-get remove openoffice.org-kde".

Comment

I haven't had any of the problems you mention since the betas. No crashes for me yet in LTS. I upgraded to 2.6.32.22.23 today. Everything is still smooth and fast...so far.
      Open Office took 5 sec. to open from menu. (now about a sec.)
      I created a 9 page document the last page is a 217.4kib photo it saved in less than 2 sec.
      The document is 237.8kib and opens in less than a sec.
      OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

oOO works fine here as well - Kubuntu 10.04, KDE 4.4.3, ooo-build 3.2.0.10 Debian 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Concerning OpenOffice, The issues that I am experiencing with excessive time opening dialogs, etc is documented widely elsewhere. It is something that was causing problems even in the Karmic. It is a problem with openoffice.org-kde.

My gripe, though, is more with Kubuntu's decision to include openoffice.org-kde in an LTS. For anyone new coming to the distro or to Linux it is a real turn off and irritating for others. It is not what is expected on an LTS.

Yes, I have fixed my problem with a simple apt-get remove openoffice.org-kde, but I wonder why its installed by default particularly when OpenOffice is such a widely used application.

Comment

Originally posted by bglazier
            Concerning OpenOffice, The issues that I am experiencing with excessive time opening dialogs, etc is documented widely elsewhere.
            Agreed. It's far from being an isolated problem. However, I was also commenting about the general slowness and unstableness you have experienced with Lucid which is not a common problem.

Originally posted by bglazier
            My gripe, though, is more with Kubuntu's decision to include openoffice.org-kde in an LTS. For anyone new coming to the distro or to Linux it is a real turn off and irritating for others. It is not what is expected on an LTS.
            Can't really argue with that. Why would you take a widely used office suite and make it slow and ugly with an unnecessary add-on, especially in a distro meant to appeal to the average incompetent computer user? It doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Using Lucid for 3 days, very fast and stable for me ... don't know about Ooo, but KOffice in Kubuntu rocks - much faster than in any other distro I have seen so far 8)
              &quot;A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.&quot; - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

Working...
              X