Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network upgrade from Karmic to Lucid -- Perfect!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network upgrade from Karmic to Lucid -- Perfect!!

Of all the people I support, the fellow with the least computer know-how or intuition was Skyping me last night to help him connect his new Canon MP560 All-in-one printer. I had to seek out a website in Japan to find a English deb package that drove that printer. But, his cable was defective and it wouldn't connect, so today he is packing it up and going back to Walmart. This time, I persuaded him to call me while he's looking at the printers on the shelf and ask me about them. I recommended Samsung, Brothers, HP and some Epsons.

While we were working on his printer problem a dialog popped up asking if he wanted to do a network upgrade to Lucid. After a few moments reflection, and remembering I had talked him through a complete install of Karmic, I told him to go for it. It was an 878 MB upgrade that added 120 some files and updated 1287 files. It said that it would take between 2 and 6 hours. He started it and we continued playing with the printer (that was before we came to the conclusion that the cable was defective). At 12:30AM his time it said it had 2 hrs and 40 minutes to go. We decided to let it run through the night and I'd Skype him in the morning.

This morning I Skyped in and he gave me a "Show My Screen" view of his brand spanking new Kubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.4 desktop. The network upgrade had gone perfectly. He had a working desktop 30 seconds after he hit the power button. I showed him how to add some widgets to the desktop and panel, and we put on the network monitor and the weather forecast widget. He had finished the upgrade by himself and he was tickled. Everything was working well and his desktop was decidedly faster.

GREAT JOB Kubuntu Dev Team! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Network upgrade from Karmic to Lucid -- Perfect!!

This is one of the few upgrade success stories I've heard.

All over the IRCs and these forums are horror stories of boot errors, video card issues, etc. relating to upgrading. I'm glad I did a clean install.

And I'm glad you have shared your story
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Just illustrates how well things can go when you have a full set of Linux compatible hardware.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Until Karmic, I had always done a clean install -- it was considered "common wisdom". So, for Karmic, while I was waiting for my Shipit CD, i said to myself, "Self, what the heck, do the Karmic thing over the 'net. After all, karma is involved." So I mashed the button and let 'er rip. It was the the least painful operating system upgrade I had ever undergone. Every step went amazingly well. And my old platform is by no means modern in any respect; it was even made in the previous millennium

Of course, the one bit of "common wisdom" I did follow was to back up (using rsync) my home and other valuable configs, before mashing said button.

I'll let you all know how "mashing the button" goes with Lucid!!
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Just illustrates how well things can go when you have a full set of Linux compatible hardware.
          His machine specs:

"I donno. It's two or three years old.'
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
            Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
            Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Well, after a couple of wifi misfires, I did "mash the button".

Then I took a nap.

Now I'm talking to you on a brand new Lucid Lynx! Even my old Broadcom wifi card woke back up (after a bit of coaksing).

It is indeed a beautiful thing 8)
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Naps always help. The older I get the more of them I seem to need!

Comment

Working...
                X