This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Sound System will Lucid use?

I started out with Kubuntu, but switched to ubuntu. One of the main reasons for this was sound. I hate only being able to have sound from one APP at a time, and had other issues. I sill like KDE & am considering going back for 10.04

Will Licid only use oss/alsa or is there at leaqt an easy way to remove pulse so I only use oss/alsa
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: What Sound System will Lucid use?

There's no pulseaudio in my Kubuntu Lucid installation. If you don't want pulse, why switch to Ubuntu? I don't get it... however, the last time I installed Ubuntu (Ubuntu-Studio, actually, but it uses Gnome), a simple "apt-get remove pulseaudio" did the trick... it did disable sound in Gnomey apps like Totem, IIRC, but I don't use those anyway...

(I'm really scared of all the sound troubles people are having. I hope my computer never fully disintegrates.... it's old and decrepit, but at least I don't have to worry about sound.)

Comment

I don't quite get why everything regarding sound had worked in ubuntu, but sound always broke in kubuntu- not once in iubuntu.

Comment

I've had the exact opposite experience. With Ubuntu, ever since the switch to PulseAudio a few versions ago, I might as well not have a sound card; everything that tries to use sound has problems of some kind. With Kubuntu and ALSA, sound always works in everything, it just doesn't work as I want it to (no 5.1 surround). Frankly, I still don't understand why many Linux distros are already heading towards Pulse. It has potential to be better than ALSA/OSS, but that's all it is at the moment: potential. It isn't actually better than the old systems yet and in many ways is far inferior. Basically, Ubuntu and everyone else that has switched to Pulse took something that wasn't actually broke, decided to "fix" it and made things exponentially worse. That's why, every time a new 'buntu version comes out, I do try Ubuntu, but always end up back on Kubuntu.
        Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

Comment

I'll be installing Kubuntu-dektop today, KDE4 will be nice and maybe I'll get away from mono!

Why did they have to go and use mono instead on cleaning up/improving gtk and fltk?

Comment

There's something about Kubuntu that ATI dosen't liike, whheen I install thhe binary drrive sound in over half my gamess stops. IIII did a clean Ubuntu install and sssoowwwnd worked we;ll, I installll 'kubuntu-desktop' , boooted into KDE annd sound wouldn't work, I logggeeed back intoo GNNOME and sound was broken there tooo

Comment

I had sound issues with Lucid as well. Primarily with Flash and any gnome based programmes like "rhythm box" (which I like because one can browse internet based radio stations). All other KDE based stuff worked well. I tried to reinstall both FireFox & Flash but nothing I checked the sound driver HDA Intel (ALC887) and Jack audio connection kit. Both tested fine with KDE stuff but still no luck with Flash and Rhythmbox. So I decided to search out here what was wrong and saw this post which reminded me of Pulse. So in a terminal I sudo apt-get install pulseaudio and let that install then rebooted and I now have sound in my web browser again and can use rhythmbox.
              Intel E6500 CPU - 4Gb Ram- Asus EN9500GT 1Gb GPU....

Comment

I've had a few sound issues as well, but they didn't occur until I installed firefox.

Played around with pulseaudio, setup an .asoundrc which seems to have made the sound usable. Pcm output is a bit low though.

We'll get it fixed and at any rate - it's a small price to pay for such a great OS

Comment

Originally posted by bserviss
                  I've had a few sound issues as well, but they didn't occur until I installed firefox.
                  Since FF seems to get all of it's dev love for Windows, I would recommend downloading and trying out rekonq (it's in the repo's). It uses Webkit (like Chrome) and is much better at home in KDE than Firefox is. It will be the standard in 10.10 anyways, and I'd like to get peoples opinions on it now. If you try it, let us know what you think!
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire
                    Since FF seems to get all of it's dev love for Windows, I would recommend downloading and trying out rekonq (it's in the repo's). It uses Webkit (like Chrome) and is much better at home in KDE than Firefox is. It will be the standard in 10.10 anyways, and I'd like to get peoples opinions on it now. If you try it, let us know what you think!
                    I absolutely adore rekonq and set it up as the default browser in both my installations. The layout attracted me at first, the initial page seems so much better than chrome. The thumbnails seen when mouseovering the tabs are my favorite feature and I find myself looking for them when using other browsers.

I am running the daily binary builds as well to test them as well.

Comment

Pulse makes horrid crackling noise, it got worse with latest Lucid when Skype is used, then all audio will have crackling noise, even when Skype isn't used, loud volumes with Rythmbox, vlc would have mild cracking, flash would have loud cracking as well. No amount of solutions would fix this, this situation wasn't this bad with Jaunty. This is what made me look into KDE and Kubuntu again and boy am I glad I did so. After 1999 with SuSE 8 and then PCLOS, with Hoary, I have been on Gnome and even though I was tempted by all the latest stuff going on in KDE world, I didn't bother as for me, speed is primary over bloat. Right now with kubuntu ppa installed and all files updated, KDE rocks on my Kubuntu here with same if not slightly less memory consumption than Gnome and even Xubuntu. Window response is quicker so are draws, Opera works brilliantly. Apps like K3B, soundkonvertor, Kdenlive etc. have no equivalent, many in gnome world have to begrudgingly install kde libs to avail these wonderful programs. Only thing currently lacking in KDE is package manager with pedigree of synaptic and a all round system monitor like grellm, no issues though, both work quite well with Kubuntu with the tweaks done by the devs. Also network manager in KDE is slow as molasses, even with a static IP, gnome network manager is way faster. I am sticking to KDE for good now. If they bring pulse back, it would be a shame indeed, arts and phonon are doing a great job here, bought back music to my system. The pulse issue with Ubuntu and Fedora is probably specific to my Yamaha card, surprisingly I would think by now this old card would have no issues, the YMF-724 chip has been widely used in PC world but then again, Pulse still needs lots of work. I am happy with sound of Phonon and arts.

Comment

AFAIK ALSA is the default. You don't have to install pulse audio if you don't like it. The only problem I found on a recent 10.04 install was the PCM was off by default but that's a quick fix in alsamixer.

Comment

Working...
                        X