This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nomodeset Install

I've been having a lot of trouble getting linux on my new laptop (Dell Latitude E5410).

After much research I found a post in an Ubuntu forum stating:
    Dell Latitude E6410. Perfect which the following minor caveats:
    - had to use "nomodeset" in the boot options before install. And make sure it's in /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    - while we are in that file: GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900
    - cannot find the microphone, but I'm not even sure there is one with the embedded webcam
    - smart card reader doesn't have a driver: "mmc0: Unknown controller version (2). You may experience problems" (but I don't care)

All the rest: bluetooth, wifi, dual screen, etc... worked out of the box.
    He is using Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

I was able to get "nomodeset" but didn't know how to access /etc/default/grub to make the other changes. When I tried to continue with the installation my screen eventually went black and I got the "kernal panic" where my caps lock and scroll lock LEDs keep flashing.

Any suggestions?

Re: nomodeset Install

I dare say that the grub business is for post installation issues only.

But perhaps not... Have you tried booting the live CD with the nomodeset parameter? If that fails, try the alternate install CD.

HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I've tried booting with Kubuntu 10.04 Live, selecting nomodeset. It seemed be "booting" or "installing" for a bit then the screen went black and the caps lock and scroll lock LEDs begun to flash. (kernal panic?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "alternate install CD". Like, try i386? Kubuntu 10.10? Another distro?

I've tried (and failed) to install the following distros:
      Kubuntu 10.10 (64-bit and 32-bit)
      Kubuntu 10.04 (install and live)
      openSUSE 11.3
      Fedora 14

If I boot Kubuntu 10.04 Live normally (de-selecting nomodeset) the screen goes black (not back-lit) but I hear the DVD drive working. After a few minutes the screen goes black with back-lit. After a few more minutes I hear a sound...it's the Kubuntu login chimes.

Then everything goes quiet.

Comment

Oh right. I didn't realize you booted the live CD with that option. As for the alternate CD, if you go to the kubuntu download page and scroll down to the section "Alternate CD" and you'll find the links.

The alternate CD is a more robust installation medium in that it lacks X or a live environment on top of the installation process and is as such always worth a try if the GUI fancy install is not successful. The menu is intuitive and in the unlikely event that you should stumble over the guidance I'm sure you'll get help here quite quickly. Whether it installs? There is only one way to find out

Also interesting that you tried other distros unsuccessfully. I'd also try Mint Debian to that list, if a 32 bit OS is sufficient (i.e. if you have no more than 3GB RAM). Otherwise there is the standard Mint (same link) which I believe is still based on Ubuntu available at 64 bit. The great advantage of the former is that it follows the rolling release model - there are no disastrous version upgrades and thus no reinstalls necessary. Your computer stays up-to-date for years. Other rolling release distros include aptosid or ArchLinux.

Anyway, hope you get on 8)
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks, toad. I'll give those options a shot.

I do have a question about the alternative options. You mention they lack X...is that only for the installation process? I must have X (and KDE) for the final installation because this is going on my wife's computer - I'm trying to convince her that Linux is better than Windows...having trouble winning the argument right now. haha

I'll definitely try Mint. The laptop only has 2GB so 32-bit should be fine.

Comment

Re the alternate CD - yeah, only the install has no X but an ncurses interface. Once you boot up the installed system you'll have KDE.

2GB RAM? Well, I'd try the rolling release Mint first.

Funny that with the windows argument My answer: Don't

Comment

Working...
            X