X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] - Keyboard & Mouse Lockup on Dual-Boot Install W/WinXP Pro

Greetings,

I have done a search here and cannot locate any relevant thread topics for my situation. So...

I am attempting to install either Kubuntu v10.04 or v10.10 on my WinXP Pro box for dual-boot purposes. Listed below, are the specs for my Win XP box and my Linux box (I will get to the relevance of both boxes in a moment):

WinXP Pro Box SPECIFICATIONS:
    Intel i7-860 2.80 GHz CPU
    Corsair H50 CPU cooling system
    Asus P7P55D-E Pro MoBo
    Galaxy nVidia GeForce GT 430 PCI-E 1MB DDR3 RAM (CUDA Enabled)
    Kingston 4GB PC3 10600 DDR3 RAM (Dual Channel)
    Western Digital 500GB 3G SATA HDD x 2 = 1TB Storage
    Micro$oft WinXP Pro 32 bit

Linux Box SPECIFICATIONS:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz CPU
    Asus P5N-E SLI MoBo
    Evga nVidia GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E Video Card (No CUDA)
    Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM (Dual Channel)
    Western Digital 120GB SATA HDD
    Kubuntu v10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 64 bit

The reason I list both boxes is that I have a KVM switch between the 2. This may or may not have relevance to my problem. My Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard came as a set, not using individual transceivers for each, using a single for both.

As stated above, I want to dual-boot WinXP Pro and Kubuntu, this on the i7 box. My first attempt was with my v10.04 CD, second with my newly burned v10.10 CD. Yes, I checked the MD5 checksum before burning both CDs.

When getting to the partitioning section of the install, the mouse and keyboard lock up tight, for both versions of Kubuntu.

About the i7 hardware: I have been having a problem, not with the hardware, I believe with software and just cannot get to the bottom of this problem which is unrelated to Linux. I have "torture tested" my hardware using various diagnostic and testing software. The hardware tests pass without a single error. I have used memtest86 and Ultimate Boot CD for the CPU and RAM and FurMark for the new video card, it's newer than the rest of the hardware due to my other card flaking out on me.

It was suggested, by another person on a forum elsewhere, that I test the system by doing a dual-boot with Linux. My problem now is I cannot get Linux installed next to WinXP. The partitioning section knows that WinXP is there, I just cannot do anything but a hard reset from that point on. The thinking is, that if the problem goes away with Linux booted up on the i7, WinXP is the culprit. I have done 2 "repair" installs of WinXP and the problem persists. I have done numerous virus/malware scans and the system appears clean.

What I will do, next, is to eliminate the mouse and keyboard by replacing them with an old, wired, 20th century version. If the lockup problem persists, than I know it's not the wireless. If it goes away, well, I'll be hard-pressed to go back to 20th century technology.

In the mean time, if anyone has any other suggestions/solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

All locked up in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Have a great day!
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Re: Keyboard & Mouse Lockup on Dual-Boot Install W/WinXP Pro

Greetings,

*** UPDATE ***

Ok, after spending almost an hour trying to find my 20th century mouse, I was finally able to test a few minutes ago.

Results: It is not my 21st century mouse and keyboard creating the problem. Right on cue, at the partitioning section, they locked up.

So... If anyone has any suggestion, I'm all eyes.

Still locked up in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Have a great day!
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

will it run as a live cd ?

have you allso tryed withought the KVM switch?

are the HD's in a RAID ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
        will it run as a live cd ?

have you allso tryed withought the KVM switch?

are the HD's in a RAID ?

VINNY
        Greetings Vinny,

It did boot from the CD. I don't remember if the mouse and keyboard locked then or not.

I was going to see about eliminating the KVM today, hooking my wired mouse and keyboard directly to the PC. Funny you should mention that, I was thinking about that at work last night.

My 2 HDDs are not in a RAID. 1 is for booting the other for backup/storage.

Thanks, Vinny!

A new day dawns, in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick

Comment

Greetings,

*** UPDATE ***

My i7 is now dual-boot capable. Kubuntu v10.10 64 bit is now installed next door to WinXP Pro and running. I know, wrong board for this version, but initially I tried to install the version this board is for.

@ Vinny:
          Thanks for the suggestions. Mouse and keyboard hooked directly to i7 did the trick. I'm now back on my wireless. Thanks again.

Free and dual-booting, in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X