Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installation on notebook hangs - all Kubuntu versions, various files.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation on notebook hangs - all Kubuntu versions, various files.

I am attempting to install 10.04 or 10.10 on a notebook. German make, Averatec.
    It is running Windows XP.

Partitioner repartitions properly. Installation starts but always hangs somewhere during the process of file download or file installation.

Suspected heat problem, cleaned cooling fin, fan, replaced heat sin grease, etc.
    Problem not solved.

I am clueless as to what to do next. But I do not want to run XP!
    Next I will test memory.

Thereafter what? Stay with XP?

Re: Installation on notebook hangs - all Kubuntu versions, various files.

Oh, no takers again. Let me reply to myself then.

After countless fruitless attempts to install a version of Kubuntu on my XP Notebook, I concluded that all CDs used had one thing in common: I burned them myself with Easy CD Creator on the built in CD drive and under Windows XP that would not burn anything slower than 8x at best.
    The only exception was a 'factory made' installation CD for Kubuntu 6.06. It installed reliably.

Conclusion: Something was wrong with my home made CDs.
    Therefore I broke out my trusted external CD drive, downloaded yet another 10.10 R Candidate iso and burned it at 4x speed.

The resulting CD installed Kubuntu 10.10 alternative iso without fault - again bypassing the built in CD drive of the laptop.

This text comes to you compliments of Kubuntu 10.10 alternative RC.

Problem solved and question answered.

Last but not least I have to thank dibl for his compilation of the most frequently asked questions. His work reinforced my suspicion and gave me the motivation to test my luck.
    Thanks, dibl, for the indirect assistance.

Comment

Working...
    X