Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No version of Kubuntu will install? It did before?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No version of Kubuntu will install? It did before?

I currently have a messed up installation of 10.4 on a partitioned hdd. I reinstalled Windows XP on the partition where it was before. But to try an use the Live CD to install 10.4 back on the other partition is not going to plan. I want to keep my home folder on the 10.4 partition and just reinstall swap , / and /tmp with out formatting /home. I have done this successfully in the past.

But here is the problem, ( and I have tried various 10.4 burns and discs I knew previously worked, even tried 9.04 and get the same prob
    I insert the live Cd, it starts and goes to lanuage selection, then goes to use live Cd without installing. It then spins in the DVdrom ( (even tried a brand new DVDrom and new sata cable. Even tried the cable in different sata points on the mobo)
    The Cd then stops spinning and all I can see is the activity LED on the box stay lit and the processor is doing something, every noe and then it will spin the rom. After what seems like eternity the Kubuntu logo with the dots moves for probly 15 mins, then it finally gets to the Desktop. I cant' retrieve any files form the kubuntu partition and it won't allow me access.

When I select INSTALL it again takes it time and I finally get to location, it hangs there for 1/2 hour, then partition scanning stops at 50 %, another 1/2hour before I get to the selecting my partition option install. After I wave grown a full beard waiting, and it gets to the end it fails the install.

Any other disc non- linux I boot up reads and runs fast, but any linux ones seem to have problems.

I have spend a total of approx 10 hours on this and getting a little cranky

Re: No version of Kubuntu will install? It did before?

If your BIOS is set to boot off of CDROM, which it sounds like it doing, then I would suggest to re-burn the CD. Is it R/W. Use md5sum to check the ISO. Then again I'm guessing you used this CD to install originally.

Did you try the media check for the CDROM?
    Boot Info Script

Comment

It sounds like the optical drive is having a terrible time reading that CD. Is it a CD that you made from an ISO image, using that optical drive, or one that you got otherwise? Sometimes there seems to be a mis-match between the tracks made by one optical drive, and the one that you use to read the CD. Can you burn an ISO image using that optical drive? If so, I would try to burn a new CD. Use the slowest speed available to burn it. There have also been reports that some blank CD media are of low quality and won't give a good burn result on Linux ISO images.

Comment

Originally posted by rovernaut
        IBut here is the problem, ( and I have tried various 10.4 burns and discs I knew previously worked, even tried 9.04 and get the same prob
        I insert the live Cd, it starts and goes to lanuage selection, then goes to use live Cd without installing. It then spins in the DVdrom ( (even tried a brand new DVDrom and new sata cable. Even tried the cable in different sata points on the mobo)
        Let's clarify the above: Did you burn the .iso file to a DVD disc? If you did, obtain a good CD-R/W disc and but to it. IIRC, attempting to install a LiveCD .iso burned to a DVD disc doesn't work.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: No version of Kubuntu will install? It did before? ( solved format entire hd

Thanks for all the suggestions ALL
          Yes I did the CD , yes tried different brands of medium, did check sum etc etc, burnt slow etc etc It was not the CD rom,
          Even booting up a disc with partimage on it it would not list the existing linux partition.
          it was a problem with that partition on the hard drive. I formatted(NUKED IT)the whole hard drive and did a fresh install of Win7 & then did 10.4 and all boots up and works. Only thing I was not happy with was losing my home partition with all my files on it. I just could not rescue it, or copy it,
          Even tried using

Comment

Working...
          X