X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu install CD doesn't work - starts up, then nothing

Hello all,

My mom has an old 8.04 install that I was going to upgrade while on vacation. Instead of upgrading to 8.10, etc until 10.04, I decided to start from scratch. I downloaded the 10.04.1 CD from the site and booted from it. I got the main menu, selected "install kubuntu". The screen went blank, the CD spun a little..... then nothing....

After a few minutes, the CD spun down. I waited some more and decided to reboot and try again. Same results. I then tried to "verify the cd" from the main menu, but got the same results. I downloaded the alternate CD, but got the same results. I even tried downloading the Ubuntu CD, but this CD didn't even GET to the main menu. I've tried the APCI (ACPI?) options, to no effect.....

I'm at a loss as to how to continue. Anyone have any ideas? A quick answer would be appreciated, as I only have a few days here on vacation to get this done....

Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu install CD doesn't work - starts up, then nothing

The first thing to do is always check the downloaded ISO by using the md5sum and comparing what you got from the downloaded ISO with the sums posted on the site you downloaded from. If they don't match the download was bad.

The second thing to do is to burn the ISO SLOW (8X or less) with DAO (Disk At Once) and, with verify checked so that the burned CD is checked against the ISO in the file.

THEN, try booting it and report back.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Additionally, determin if the CD drive is actually still functional. Will it read 'any other' CD you have?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Verified the md5 checksum, burned a new cd at 8x, SAO (I told K3B to burn using DAO, but it ignored me), and I still get the same result.... well almost....

I was a little more patient and just let it go, and when I came back I got a kernel panic dealing with /dev/sda..... The computer I've got has an extra HDD cable plug that operates in a higher speed mode (high speed ATA.... it's been a long time, so bear with me, I don't remember all the details). I do remember that the disk shows up as a SCSI disk (hence sda and not hda)....

at any rate, the CD and CD drive seem good... but the installer seems to be having some troubles with the psedo scsi drive.....

Comment

That is a very likely problem. Is this scsi controller actually hooked up to another device? Can you disconnect this contoller from the main board - temporarily?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            That is a very likely problem. Is this scsi controller actually hooked up to another device? Can you disconnect this contoller from the main board - temporarily?
            Just to be clear, it's not a SCSI controller, but a device that accepts "high speed" IDE devices (Ultra-IDE, I think the term was), that linux treats as a SCSI device. It's built in to the mobo. I could turn it off just for testing, but then the hard drive won't be active..... Do I need to load a module before continuing?

Comment

Working...
            X