This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requirement for installing Kubuntu Linux

can anybody plz tell me what is the basic requirement for installing kubuntu linux, and which type of partition is needed. also let me know can i install winxp and kubuntu on same pc. help will really appreciated.
    ITIL Training<br /> CISCO Software Training

Re: Requirement for installing Kubuntu Linux

I have winxp and Kubuntu in a dual-boot configuration .
    You can try out Kubuntu by using the live cd

Comment

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The instructions offered were correct but rather terse.

I'll try to fill in some gaps, indeed get the latest Live CD and boot it.
        If GParted is not already available under system start KPackageKit , update the software sources and install GParted.
        Now start up GParted (still all from the Live CD) and reduce the WinXP partition enough to have space for your Linux install.
        Most will do a 50-50% but the minimum you can work with comfortably is around 30-50GB, an absolute minimum would be around 10GB.
        In this free space you now make three new partitions, the first of about 10GB for the system called root or '/'.
        the second partition for swap, in case you like to hibernate it needs to be at least equal to your memory, I suggest memory + 1 GB.
        The third partition is going to be your /home where all documents and personal settings are saved, you should not make it smaller than a few GB but it can be as big as your disk supports.

When making these partitions you are asked for a file system, for part. 1 and 3 I suggest ext3 as it's best supported and there are Windows drivers available to access it from Windows.
        Partition 2 will be set to Linux swap (Like the paging file in Windows).

Partition 1 needs to be associated with the root or '/'.
        Partition 2 with swap.
        Partition 3 with /home

Now tell GParted to go ahead and do it's thing.

Once the disk has been resized and made ready you can click the install icon on the desktop.
        When asked, select manual partitioning and point the installer to the partitions you just made.

Please be aware that for Linux the C: drive is something like /hda and a second disk (D would be /hdb.
        When you have one disk with in Windows a C: and D: partition they'll show up in Linux as /hda1 and /hda2.
        (When they are Sata disks there's a fair chance they show up a /sda.)

Would you have followed my suggestions you'd end up with four primary partitions:
        /hda1 is WinXP,
        /hda2 for / (root),
        /hda3 for swap
        /hda4 for /home

Comment

Working...
        X