This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My slew of questions

Alright I'd like to say that firstly I've installed Ubuntu and used the KDE (But unfortunately had to wipe and am now going to reinstall just kubuntu (The problem came in with me installing the KDE, and XFCE all at the same time made my computer go loopy)) just this morning. I didn't get to spend much time in Kubuntu but I did like it so here are my questions to help me get it going the second time around.

CPU: Core i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz, 3.8Ghz, 3.0Ghz, or 2.6Ghz (Depending on Bios Profile)
    GPU: ATI Radeon 5870
    RAM: 6GB DDR3 2000Mhz
    HD: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12

Multi-booting with: Windows 7

1.) Is there any benefit to installing Kubuntu directly as opposed to running Ubuntu and installing the KDE?

2.) Is there a working SVN client for Kubuntu? I need to be able to checkout from a repository preferably from the context menu of a folder. (Nothing fancy and yes I know I can use the terminal but that's a pain in my butt)

3.) I need to be able to run a compile.bat file in Ubuntu. yes yes I know batch files use the windows command prompt. I want to know if: a. There is a way to convert this to something Linux os's understand like a shell script. b. If Wine will be able to emulate these files or c. If There is something that can emulate the windows cmd prompt.

4.) When I used the Facebook widget and other widgets at the same time it makes them all teleport. Is there any way to fix this?

I can't think of anything else I'm sleepy I'll check up on this til I fall asleep.

Re: My slew of questions

To answer some of your questions:
    (1) Obviously the advantage is that if you only install Kubuntu, you don't have a bunch of Gnome "stuff" you don't need. However, there are some Gnome packages (for example, the Synaptic package manager) that some people like better than their KDE counterparts. Alternatively, the new Muon package manager for Kubuntu is getting favorable comments. What's more, the author shows up here occasionally.

(2) Yes. After you install Synaptic, search for SVN. There are both KDE and Qt front ends for SVN.

(3) The answer depends on the content of the ".bat" file. If I were you, I would use the hand conversion of the ".bat" file to a Bash script as a "learning experience", but if you're trying to make a living that's not a satisfactory answer. I can tell you that there are several C compilers for Linux. In addition, there are platform independent programming environments (like Qt) which will generate code for windoze. KDE is based on Qt.

(4) Sorry, I don't use Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      To answer some of your questions:
      (1) Obviously the advantage is that if you only install Kubuntu, you don't have a bunch of Gnome "stuff" you don't need. However, there are some Gnome packages (for example, the Synaptic package manager) that some people like better than their KDE counterparts. Alternatively, the new Muon package manager for Kubuntu is getting favorable comments. What's more, the author shows up here occasionally.
      I do like the Synaptic Package Manager . Also I was told in the Ubuntu irc that installing them separately prevents them from causing weird issues with each other.

(2) Yes. After you install Synaptic, search for SVN. There are both KDE and Qt front ends for SVN.
      Good to know

(3) The answer depends on the content of the ".bat" file. If I were you, I would use the hand conversion of the ".bat" file to a Bash script as a "learning experience", but if you're trying to make a living that's not a satisfactory answer. I can tell you that there are several C compilers for Linux. In addition, there are platform independent programming environments (like Qt) which will generate code for windoze. KDE is based on Qt.
      I like to learn . Also it's just like 5 .bat files used to compile a java program.

(4) Sorry, I don't use Facebook.
      It does it with all the widgets though

Comment

It does it with all the widgets though
        In which case, could you please define "it makes them all teleport"? Also, does this ever happen when you don't have the Facebook widget running?

At the moment, I am only running Kubuntu (with a few GTK apps added). In the past, I have dual booted Kubuntu and Ubuntu in the hope that I might get over my dislike for Gnome (didn't help). I don't recall any difficulty with this arrangement. The only thing that I can think of is that, depending on how you arranged things, you might have both the KDM and GDM display managers installed. If so, I could imagine the two interfering with each other if they were both active. The way to avoid this is to install either "U" or "Ku" and then use Synaptic to install the "kubuntu-desktop" or "ubuntu-desktop" package, in order to get the other environment. If you do this, you will have a choice at boot up of which desktop you want to run. BTW, there are other desktops that you might want to explore as well.

Comment

In makes them teleport: I'll drag facebook up to the corner and it'll be fine about 70% of the time the other 30% of the time it teleports back towards the center of the screen. When used with any other widget (Such as the message alerter for IM messages) it increases to about 90-100% unless I can manage to lock the widgets (Which requires super fast clicking on my part). If I unlock the widgets they'll of course all teleport to the middle again.

What other desktops are you thinking of? Different Linux distro's? If so which one's specifically?

I've Tried:
          Fedora
          Linux Mint
          Xubuntu
          Ubuntu
          Kubuntu
          OpenSUSE

I've read about but haven't tried:
          Debian
          Mandriva
          FreeBSD

Comment

If this ONLY happens when you've got the Facebook widget active, I'd (a) report a bug to the developer, with as many details as you can provide, and (b) remove the widget until a new version comes out.

Comment

I'll do the install and then follow up on that and btw I was updating my response when you replied :P

Comment

The other desktops that I was thinking of were Xubuntu and Lubuntu. Both of which are Ubuntu versions with "lightweight" desktops which work better than the "biggies" on old or small hardware. Linux Mint is a separate distribution based on Ubuntu, much as (*)buntu is based on Debian. As you know Fedora and Open Suse are completely unrelated Linux distros, as is Mandriva. FreeBSD, and other *BSD distros do not use the Linux kernel. They use variants of the Berkeley Standard Distribution of the Unix kernel. You may be interested to know that KDE can run on BSD distros.

Comment

What other desktops are you thinking of? Different Linux distro's? If so which one's specifically?
                  BTW, the desktop environment is not really tied to the distro. You could, for example, install Ubuntu (without the GUI) and put KDE (instead of Gnome) on it to make Kubuntu. You can also use Xfce, Fluxbox, or Icewm, all of which are excellent desktops.

Comment

I faced a similar situation whenever I changed my Desktop / Folder View Activity Settings. My analog clock was moved quickly to the opposite corner of the desktop (I put it on the upper right corner).
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

The other desktops that I was thinking of were Xubuntu and Lubuntu. Both of which are Ubuntu versions with "lightweight" desktops which work better than the "biggies" on old or small hardware. Linux Mint is a separate distribution based on Ubuntu, much as (*)buntu is based on Debian. As you know Fedora and Open Suse are completely unrelated Linux distros, as is Mandriva. FreeBSD, and other *BSD distros do not use the Linux kernel. They use variants of the Berkeley Standard Distribution of the Unix kernel. You may be interested to know that KDE can run on BSD distros.
                      I've tried Xubuntu and I never heard of Lubuntu. But my computers specs are anything but "old" or "Small" so I dont think I should concern myself with lightweight distro's. I did not know KDE could run on BSD though that's good to know.

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                      BTW, the desktop environment is not really tied to the distro. You could, for example, install Ubuntu (without the GUI) and put KDE (instead of Gnome) on it to make Kubuntu. You can also use Xfce, Fluxbox, or Icewm, all of which are excellent desktops.
                      Yes I know I've installed them all under Ubuntu previously (See my 1st question in my first post).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomwa
                        I've tried Xubuntu and I never heard of Lubuntu. But my computers specs are anything but "old" or "Small" so I dont think I should concern myself with lightweight distro's.
                        My hardware is pretty much identical to yours and an overclocked i7-920 is a force to be reckoned with. If I decided to wipe and reinstall about the only thing I'd do differently is install a 32-bit distribution - but the 64-bit is fast enough.

Next up for me is a fast SSD to use as a boot drive as my own 1TB drive is no slouch, but you can tell from using the machine that the disk is the bottleneck.
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                          Originally posted by Tomwa
                          I've tried Xubuntu and I never heard of Lubuntu. But my computers specs are anything but "old" or "Small" so I dont think I should concern myself with lightweight distro's.
                          My hardware is pretty much identical to yours and an overclocked i7-920 is a force to be reckoned with. If I decided to wipe and reinstall about the only thing I'd do differently is install a 32-bit distribution - but the 64-bit is fast enough.

Next up for me is a fast SSD to use as a boot drive as my own 1TB drive is no slouch, but you can tell from using the machine that the disk is the bottleneck.
                          I know right? A smaller HD at least for the OS would be better but my computer is just tremendously slowed by having everything on 1 TB hd. A nice sized SSD would do wonders.

Comment

Working...
                          X