Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Issues with creating a bootable usb drive.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Issues with creating a bootable usb drive.

I am trying to install Kubuntu Netbook remix on my new Asus EEE Netbook. I did not purchase a usb cd drive so I am trying to do this from a usb thumb drive. I have attempted to create this usb drive with the start up creator on my desktop, with the usb-creator.exe from the ISO I downloaded and from unetbootin-windows. All three have created the usb fine, but the drive is not bootable. When I attempt to install the bootloader information with wubi it fails indicating that there was an error retrieving the installation files.

I have verified the checksum so I know that the integrity of the ISO I downloaded is good. I also thought maybe the usb thumb drive was bad, so I tried on a different one and I even tried on an SD card. All have failed to boot from them. Anyone have any other suggestions short of purchasing a usb cd drive?

Thanks,

-Eric
    Sent using my HTC EVO and Tapatalk.

Re: Issues with creating a bootable usb drive.

At times, it does feel like black magic -- especially these new Sandisk sticks with the faux CD on them.

There are links and my favorite techniques in this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107512.0

Comment

Re: Issues with creating a bootable usb drive.

At times, it does feel like black magic -- especially these new Sandisk sticks with the faux CD on them.

There are links and my favorite techniques in this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107512.0
      Yes all my usb drives have this faux auto run cd thing on them. Could that be what is causing the issues? I have even tried formatting them and nothing. Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I was able to install kubuntu with wubi but only inside Windows. I just want to zap windows entirely, I have no use for it at all.

-Eric

Comment

[Solved] Re: Issues with creating a bootable usb drive.

I figured this out and it seems it my or may not have been any issue with the usb stick after all.

I just finished doing the usb-creator from inside kubuntu and putting it on an SD card. I then saw something from the BIOS during boot up that said hit esc for a menu. Inside that menu I was able to select the SD card as the boot drive and now I am happily installing kubuntu on my Netbook and killing off windows 7!

Thanks for the help though.

-Eric

Comment

Working...
        X