This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about installing Kubuntu

Hello guys. I was looking at Kubuntu and I was thinking of installing it on my system (I am posting this from the LiveCD) I wondering a few things before I install it.

First of all, does Kubuntu users get the same nice support here (I love these forums!)

Second, does Kubuntu use the same type of GRUB as Ubuntu? I want it to still be able to boot into my Windows 7 partition.

Third, are there themes for Kubuntu? Can I get more than a blank screen saver (thats the only choice in the Live CD, other than random)

Fourth, There is an awesome feature in Ubuntu that turns off the trackpad when you are typing, can I get that on Kubuntu, I am already having trouble typing this post...

Fifth and finale question! - Can I run most of the Ubuntu programs on KDE? I know most programs made for Ubuntu don't have a "Kubuntu" option. I really need NDISWrapper because my wireless doesn't work correctly in Ubuntu / Kubuntu and I have the Windows Drivers. How would I go about installing it, I can't find the package manager for KDE / Kubuntu

Re: Thinking about installing Kubuntu

Originally posted by RJ12

First of all, does Kubuntu users get the same nice support here (I love these forums!)
    "Nice"? - yes, pretty much. "Support"? -- well, heh heh heh -- usually, I'd say.

Second, does Kubuntu use the same type of GRUB as Ubuntu? I want it to still be able to boot into my Windows 7 partition.
    Yes, absolutely identical.

Third, are there themes for Kubuntu? Can I get more than a blank screen saver (thats the only choice in the Live CD, other than random)
    YES. I'm personally not a themer, but go to kde-look.org and focus on themes for KDE4 and there are quite a few.

Fourth, There is an awesome feature in Ubuntu that turns off the trackpad when you are typing, can I get that on Kubuntu, I am already having trouble typing this post...
    Sorry, I can't answer that one -- don't know. Hopefully someone who knows will help.

Fifth and finale question! - Can I run most of the Ubuntu programs on KDE? I know most programs made for Ubuntu don't have a "Kubuntu" option. I really need NDISWrapper because my wireless doesn't work correctly in Ubuntu / Kubuntu and I have the Windows Drivers. How would I go about installing it, I can't find the package manager for KDE / Kubuntu
    NDIWrapper works the same. Beyond that, I would not suggest that you BEGIN your KDE experience by trying to replicate Gnome -- it's not going to be any happier than trying to replicate Windows. Instead, figure out what you want to accomplish with your system, and then look into what KDE packages exist to support that activity. If you don't like what you find, and you have a great Gnome solution, then by all means install the Gnome solution. For example, I'm very content to use gftp, and came up dry looking for a better solution for KDE, so I use gftp. I'm not a Koffice fanboy, and am happy to use OpenOffice.Org, which is the same on KDE as it is on Gnome. Like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

"Nice"? - yes, pretty much. "Support"? -- well, heh heh heh -- usually, I'd say.

Yes, absolutely identical.

YES. I'm personally not a themer, but go to kde-look.org and focus on themes for KDE4 and there are quite a few.

Sorry, I can't answer that one -- don't know. Hopefully someone who knows will help.

NDIWrapper works the same. Beyond that, I would not suggest that you BEGIN your KDE experience by trying to replicate Gnome -- it's not going to be any happier than trying to replicate Windows. Instead, figure out what you want to accomplish with your system, and then look into what KDE packages exist to support that activity. If you don't like what you find, and you have a great Gnome solution, then by all means install the Gnome solution. For example, I'm very content to use gftp, and came up dry looking for a better solution for KDE, so I use gftp. I'm not a Koffice fanboy, and am happy to use OpenOffice.Org, which is the same on KDE as it is on Gnome. Like that.

Thanks for your help! I really would like to get that trackpad problem remedied, but I guess it would be something I have to get use too. I hope to be installing Kubuntu soon though!

Comment

gsynaptics would probably work on Kubuntu, but there used to be something called kmousetool (or something like that -- I'm not able to see the repos atm). Put "turn off touchpad" in the search window at the top of the forum, and you should find some hits on the topic.

Also, FYI, most Kubuntu users here prefer synaptic to the built-in KpackageKit, for reviewing and installing packages. You can decide for yourself, but if KPackagekit is not to your taste, just
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic

Comment

With the release of 10.04 (actually may be KDE version specific) there is now a TouchPad control area that will do just that.

System Settings --> Keyboard and Mouse --> Touchpad.

Ta Da!

As far as screen savers, yes, once installed there are a bunch of those in the Repos!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            With the release of 10.04 (actually may be KDE version specific) there is now a TouchPad control area that will do just that.

Ta Da!

As far as screen savers, yes, once installed there are a bunch of those in the Repos!

I am sorry but I can't find the option, can you explain more of where it is

Comment

Kubuntu is the bomb, gnome was clean and neat looking, but seems.....lacking somehow for me. No don't get me wrong, I was raised on DOS....IBM DOS at that, even before MS DOS, so I'm not afraid of command lines. However I do think GUI is how things should be now, and you can make KDE slick as heck! My only complaint? (and I'm gonna get flamed for this) There is still to much command line stuff needed for my taste.... like putting a AM radio in a Caddy. But I think the linux purest would have a cow, there would be screams of "Windows wannabe" all up and down the hall!!! LOL

But really, I like Kubuntu, and really dig KDE. And (K)ununtu has enough market share to make it a highly followed and supported distro....
              My Homesite<br />My Blog

Comment

Ok, another question, this one about the widgets. How can I lock just one widget? Because when I add a widget, say the analog clock, I drag it somewhere, then I move the mouse and bam! The clock moves to some random spot. Is there a way to fix this?

Comment

If you have some experience using Ubuntu, then you should feel more at home using Kubuntu. Once you get past the "quirks" of KDE.

I have been using Ubuntu exclusively for a while now, and haven't had much time to mess with KDE. I installed suse, Mandriva and the like, and have had one hellacious experience doing so.

I now am very happy using Kubuntu. I'm using the Lucid 10.04.1 updated version(been keeping zsyn the current iso).

Most all the cli commands that I'm use to in Ubuntu work in Kubuntu - aptitude, which I use a lot of. Also I can copy my bash_aliases over without a miss-step.

I think DIBL answered most of your questions very well.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Ok, another question, this one about the widgets. How can I lock just one widget? Because when I add a widget, say the analog clock, I drag it somewhere, then I move the mouse and bam! The clock moves to some random spot. Is there a way to fix this?
                    that's strange....?

I never lock my widget's and thay allways stay whare I put them?

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright

What -- Vinny, is that for real? I ALWAYS keep my widgets locked, except when I want to change one. I thought the rule was "Unlock widgets ---> change what you want to change ---> lock 'em up again".

Comment

What -- Vinny, is that for real? I ALWAYS keep my widgets locked, except when I want to change one. I thought the rule was "Unlock widgets ---> change what you want to change ---> lock 'em up again".
                        Yeah, it doesn't bother me that much, but when the widgets are locked, the bouncy ball won't move, my brother loves that thing, and he always makes me bounce it around

Comment

That is the rule isn't it! Man I hope so.

Comment

Ta Da!

From the K Menu (Square K in the lower left) click on Applications --> Settings --> then System Settings as above. Let me know.

Comment

Ta Da!

From the K Menu (Square K in the lower left) click on Applications --> Settings --> then System Settings as above. Let me know.

I got into system settings > keyboard and mouse, but then I can't find the option. I have a feeling it just isn't in 10.04

Comment

Working...
                              X