This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Offline Upgrade?

I search for a way to upgrade my kubuntu 9.10 offline to 10.04 without any internt connection availible.
    This is important for me since my USB-surf-stick is only supported by the new version and I don't have any internet connection for that reason.
    My idea was now, to download everything I need at a friends home, burn it on CD to upgrade my system. I searched the internet but did't find any helpful howto. Perhaps you could help?

Re: Offline Upgrade?

You will have less difficulty doing a fresh install of 10.04. If you use the Alternate Install CD/image, you will have more packages available on the image.

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks claydoh for the link. I found this howto befor I posted here but there is one line which konfused me:
        7) Go and have a coffee while 10.04 is downloaded and installed.
        I think even with an alternate install you will need internet connection.
        A fresh install brings some trouble with it because my home folder did't have its own partition. Therfore it will be deleted or is there any way to keep my data?
        Otherwise I hope my USB-Stick has enough free space

Comment

If you are using the Alternate cd, the Upgrade tools is getting everything it needs for the proccess from that, you won't need a connection. It will Upgrade, and not change or erase any of your partitions or directories you already have. So your current daya stays there and isn't touched.

Backing up the contents of your /home/<username> folder is a good strategy just in case.

Comment

Thanks to clear things up
            I'll try the alternate CD and burn an install CD as well just in case.
            That means there is another solved problem

Comment

Re: [Solved] Offline Upgrade?

The Alternate cd is also an install disk. It uses a text-based installer program instead of the full graphical desktop, but it is still pretty simple to use.

Comment

Working...
              X