This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Kubuntu upgrade

I had installed Kubuntu on my laptop using a CD which said the version is 9.04 - and, I still have the CD with me - that was about six months ago. Now, during the start up sequence, the grub loader shows the lowest entry as Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6-28-11-generic and the highest as 2.6-31-21-generic, with a total of about 5 entries (?) or so - and there is no mention of Kubuntu or Ubuntu 9.04 at all. Does it mean that during some updates that have taken place, the 9.04 version that I loaded originally using the CD has been some time during the past replaced by 9.10 version after completely removing all data corresponding to the 9.04 version? I am asking this query just because I am totally unaware as to when this upgrade had happened although most probably I must have accepted to upgrade when the query came through the system (internet).

Actually, there are some more entries (updates in between that series 28 and 31) of this which were loaded. A friend who helped me load this Kubuntu also taught me how to modify a file (after Kubuntu starts) adding some # marks in front of some of the lines corresponding to such entries so that the fifth or sixth entry (windows XP) remains the default OS which will load after 15 seconds wait. This file which I mentioned is accessed at boot/grub after linux completely starts up and the name of the file is menu.lst

Now I keep getting messages stating that 10.04 LTS is available and do I want to upgrade? Well, definitely yes. But before I upgrade, I want to know if these other entries as listed in the "grub loader" will still remain after I upgrade. And, if yes I know how to modify the grub loader file. But if these other entries are likely to get deleted, how do I recover my grub loader sequencing correctly.

Re: About Kubuntu upgrade

I don't know which kernels are used in 9.04 or 9.10, you can probably find it when looking for it.
    But I do know removing the kernels you don't use any more is as easy as marking them for removal in your package manager.
    To find out what you are running have a look at this site:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/01/...ernel-version/

Would you now elect to do a distribution upgrade to 10.04 the no longer needed kernels will be removed without further prompting.

Although upgrades are generally quite routinely done you always want to keep a back up of your important documents and settings, to be sure just back up your /home.

Comment

Moving from 9.04 to 9.10 you would have had to click VERSION upgrade I think. On a machine running 8.04 I have been doing upgrades and "complete upgrade" hasn't changed it to 8.10. As to whether you now want to go to 10.04 is your call. Version upgrades sometimes cause problems and it might be a thought to install 10.04 from scratch. Either way, make sure you have your files, bookmarks, etc, in a safe place.

Comment

Dear Teunis and Ole,

Thank you very much for making the efforts to reply to my query. But I must admit that I still remain confused about the query I raised since I am totally new (and probably you can say - clueless about Linux) to understand whatever you both have talked about in answer to my query. I even went into the link that is mentioned which talks about some "Kernels" and that does not seem to deal with any of the aspects of the query I raised.

Well, I need specific answers to the following four queries if someone can help me please.

1. Is it necessary to upgrade from my current system of Kubuntu 9.10, Kernel 2.6-31-21-generic to this new version of 10.04 LTS which is displayed as available on the net? If I don't upgrade at all, how long can I continue using the current version without any problem related to the upgrade?

2. To upgrade to the 10.04 LTS version, it appears to me that I just need to select to upgrade from the net and the whole thing would be automatic from the net. Is this true? Or do I have to make a new CD for this 10.04 version and re-load this version?

3. In either method of upgrade, I guess that the file (menu.lst - or should I call it "GRUB loader"?) will get over-written definitely. But, will the entries pertaining to the earlier version of 9.10 which shows up during start up now, be available in that file after the update?

4. Everyone is talking about "backing up" the data prior to update. Currently, I have not "saved" any files in Linux. My computer has four partitions of which, three are accessible through Windows XP. The fourth partition has only those files connected to Linux and I don't mind even if everything on this partition gets deleted with the new installation. when I am logged in to Linux, I can access the files from the other three partitions too and I don't want anything getting deleted from these three partitions. In this situation, do I have to back up data before upgrading?

Comment

Hi bai.ganga,

It's getting too late for me but I will make a quick effort here.

1. No, you don't need to upgrade right now. I don't know how long you will be able to run this, but I suspect it will be a while before you will notice that you are getting behind the times. It is things like protocols and particularly codecs that start to break.

2. Yes, you just need to click on "Version Upgrade".

3. It's all looked after for you, but you can't go back once you upgrade.

4. Backing up is always the best plan and no one wants to suggest you do something without having a backup because they don't want to be blamed for your loss. However, things normally work well and you likely won't need that backup. (But you didn't hear that from me.) Since you are not concerned about losing information on the Linux partition there probably will not be any problem. The installation will not touch any of the others. However, be extremely careful that you have the right partition. Check out the names of each of them and make sure the installer is saying the right thing when it says "the following partitions etc...". The warnings are very good, but you have to read them to make sure. So no, you don't have to back up the data. It depends to some extent on your own level of paranoia and how valuable the information really is. You decide. Someone else can't make that decision.

It's all stuff to worry about if you want. However, with a bit of luck you might be surprised how easy it went. On the other hand, if you really don't want to play with this right now, just go ahead and use 9.10 for a while.

Comment

• Regular versions of Ubuntu, like 9.10, get a minimum of 18 months support.
              The LTS versions like 10.04 get a minimum of 3 years support.
            • Support meaning bug and security fixes, including kernel updates.
              For securities sake it is always wise to stay updated, regardless whether it is on 9.10 or 10.04.
              Upgrading to 10.04 is only interesting when you find it has new options you miss in 9.10.
            • The upgrade via the net is a good way.
              Providing you have a reasonably fast and especially reliable connection.
              Reasonable as in you can download a DVD in less than a couple of hrs.

• The 9.10 options will disappear from the boot loader, they are no longer needed or even relevant.
            • Obviously when there is nothing to get lost a back up is pointless.
              But maybe you're pleased with some tweaks for an application and you'd like to continue running it that way.
              Or as was mentioned you would like to keep your bookmarks.
              Or your mail archive or photo's or other documents, all these things reside in the /home partition, mainly in hidden (file names starting with a period) files.
              When you have no such thing, no worry and start from scratch.
            • You write about other partitions were you do keep your documents, even though I personally have never experienced the destruction of a Windows partition a human error during a fresh install could wipe them out!
              During an upgrade there is much less to worry, all should end up in the same place as the original.

Comment

Dear Teunis,

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer. I think it answers all my queries satisfactorily and makes me rid of "worries" about this upgrade. I will go for an upgrade through the net to 10.04 version.

Comment

Working...
              X