This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing Kubuntu from usb flash stick

I have been running Ubuntu, the standard issue, and thought I would try the KDE interface version.

So I downloaded version 10.04 lts ISO, used my create bootable usb tool to put the ISO onto the flash stick. I then booted from the stick and started the install.

Ok, before I forget the computer is a eeePC 4g surf, I have version 10.04 of Ubuntu running on it at the moment, which was installed using the same method.

The problem is, just as the install process starts the system tries to set the flash stick up as a cdrom, and I can not get past this point. I don't have a usb cd drive I can use to see if its the usb thats the problem. So what can I do?

Has any one installed successfully from a usb flash stick

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Re: installing Kubuntu from usb flash stick

It should work, especially if you installed ubuntu 10.4 via a flash drive - maybe something has gone wrong with either the download or the conversion to a bootable flash drive.

However, if you merely wish to try out kde, don't bother installing kubuntu. Simply install the package kubuntu-desktop and that will give you the core kde installation, without destroying what you have got (which will be useful if you don't like KDE).

As a result of this you will be asked which graphics manager you wish to use, kdm or gdm. If you select auto-login each one will default to their own preferred desktop so think about how you want to go about this. If you don't auto-login, it is less important.

HTH

Comment

Re: installing Kubuntu from usb flash stick

Thanks for that

MIght try downloading the ISO again just in case it's corrupt.

Will also try installing the desktop. mind you might end up getting a bit tight on disc space on the wee eeepc.

Thanks for the reply

Ian

Comment

Working...
      X