This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installer freezes-SOLVED

OK - here's what I did. Oh and BTW, I have /home on a separate partition, in fact on a separate hard disk, so a fresh install doesn't matter to me.

1) Fresh install of 9.10. I did allow the normal updates but maybe you don't need to bother with them at all.

2) Used the online upgrade to 10.4, which ran smoothly to its conclusion. Once this was installed I rebooted into it. It did what it always does - went to a black screen and no activity.

3) I rebooted but opted for the "rescue" image this time, and selected root access with networking.

4) At the root prompt, I typed: sudo Xorg -configure

5) I rebooted and this time KDE worked.

6) Installed the "hardware drivers" (for my ATi HD5770 graphics card)

7) Downloaded the latest Catalyst driver from AMD/ATi (version 10.4) and installed them.

8) Set up my dual headed monitors using amdcccle,

9) Smiled and breathed a hearty sigh of relief!

All the above leads me to conjecture that a virgin install from a 10.4 CD will also work but one would have to do some or all of the steps above. It is also possible that one or two steps above are redundant but I am not going to spend time on that. I want to get everything loaded and running in 10.4. Wheeeeeeeee!

Mikey

Comment

Re: Installer freezes

Nice job! 8)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Read the first link - the reference was pretty vague - at least to me. After reading I wasn't sure if the current Live-CD fixes the problem with the dual boot and not finding other OSs or not.

So, does the current (05-06-2010) Live-Cd fix the problem with GRUB2 finding other OSs?

I understand the problem has an easy fix, update-grub, but I know that if I have to fall back at some future date and have to run that command, I will have totally forgotten the command to run and have totally forgotten that anything is even wrong.

So I definitely do not want a Live-CD that has any such problems.

Again, does the current Live-CD fix the problem?

Comment

Well congratulations, but I´m no better off for either solution recently posted. There remains no updated installer for Kubuntu to be downloaded. The existing 10.04 installer has no problem reading my ATI video, nor in recognizing the video essentials of my more modern Samsung 2233 LCD display. It just won´t recognize the existing K7.x partitions on my SATA HDD, and the K10.04 installer still freezes there, looking for (albeit pre-existing) partitions to work with. (And, no. I originally presented the naked HDD to 10.04, to exactly the same non-result, and only subsequently got a successful partition and install from K7.x)

Comment

Working...
          X