This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xf86-video-intel 2.18.0

I've been having problems with the display on my Dell D630 laptop (Intel video controller). These problems seem to be more severe with kernel 2.6.32.38 than with earlier kernels (specifically 2.6.32.33), so I'm tempted to wonder whether a later version of the video driver might be helpful.

I note that the latest release of the xf86-video-intel driver (2.18.0) has been tested with a 3.something kernel, so don't know whether it would work satisfactorily with a 2.6 kernel. Is there any information about this available?

Alternatively, any advice on how to test the new driver on my laptop in such a way as to enable rollback to the old version if necessary?

Martin Taylor

This might help: http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/02...-graphics.html
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that and get back to you. I'd still be interested to know about the later driver, but your suggestion sounds like it should solve my immediate problem.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormc View Post
        Alternatively, any advice on how to test the new driver on my laptop in such a way as to enable rollback to the old version if necessary?
        The Xorg-Edgers PPA maintains updated X drivers. However, for Lucid, it includes only version 2.14 of the Intel driver. 2.18 appears in the builds only for Oneiric and Precise.

The XorgOnTheEdge wiki page includes information about a script that will install the drivers in a Live media session. But this won't help you with Lucid. TBH, I think you'll need to upgrade your distro if you want newer graphics drivers. Intel even mentions this -- the release notes for 2.17 state:

The 12.02 release is based on the stable 3.2.x kernel version. Linux version 3.2.6 was tested with this release. Additional stabilization and enhancement patches will be provided for the 3.2 stable kernel series during the support cycle for the 3.2 kernel.
        So it's reasonable to assume that 2.18 is being developed under similar conditions.

Comment

Thanks for this. I think it may be worth trying 2.14 - I'll read the release notes and see if there's anything that looks relevant. I'm generally happy with Lucid, so would prefer not to upgrade at present.

Comment

Working...
          X