This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! the pooch is walking funny!

i have well and truly screwed the pooch, and am trying to find a way out that does not involve a full reinstall. i'm running 10.04 with the trinity kde3.5, and this afternoon i inadvertently embraced full, grand stupidity.

here's what happened. i was attempting to set up a PAN that would let me network my blackberry playbook over bluetooth. things were going swimmingly along; then i did an ifconfig the results of which included these things:

pan0:avahi
    pan1

well, that was fine except that what i wanted was an unencumbered pan0. i went online and found no particular reason to have avahi. so i opened adept and marked it for deletion. that's where the fun begins. i started watching package after package getting deleted: firefox. kmail. lots of things. i dived for adept and managed to shut it down, but not before many things got deleted.

oddly, ifconfig still works, but i cannot connect to the internet on that machine.

i have found that synaptic apparently has a list of the packages i recently sent by accident to the bit bucket. and i have a pristine copy of 10.04.4 on CD.

what i am trying to figure out is how i can extract and reinstall the packages i deleted, from the CD. i very much do not want to delete or harm that list of deleted packages. i also very much do not want to lose my happy batch of configurations, recent third-party applications, and so on.

i'm hoping there's a way of doing this.

anybody know?

UPDATE: solved, but it wasn't pretty. i copied my /opt/kde3 directory, preserving links, from my desktop machine to my notebook machine, which is where i broke everything. this let me get at things that needed to be fixed with the network. rebooted and most everything worked -- enough that i could grab the packages i needed to fix it the rest of the way. there's probably a more elegant way of undertaking the repair, but i figured i had kissed the weekend goodbye and it turns out i hadn't. so praise the lord, one of my first dozen guesses worked!
    Last edited by dep; Feb 24, 2012, 08:47 PM. Reason: solved
Working...
X