This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booted with SD card in machine; now boot halts until I hit "S" -- Solved

Alas, this is now the case on two of my machines.

In each, at some point I booted the machine with a non-bootable data SD card in one of the SD card slots. No problem; I checked, saw that it was not mounted, and rebooted. But now, on each (and this has been the case for a few months; I just have a little while to post in hope of cleaning it up) at each boot of the machines, the booting is halted and a message is displayed to the effect that a drive is not present or not ready and that I can hit S to continue or continue to wait. So I hit S. But I'd kind of like to undo whatever was done so that the machines boot without intervention until I need to provide the password.

Anybody know what to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Booted with SD card in machine; now boot halts until I hit "S"

Take a look in System Settings > Removable Devices (this is where it's at on my 11.10 install - it might be different in Lucid).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Found, I think, that to which you refer (there's no "removable devices" choice) in Advanced > Disk & Filesystems. It had a "disabled" entry for /dev/sdb1. I deleted it, then rebooted. The error persisted and, now, going back I see that the entry has returned. So it appears to be farther up the food chain.

But thanks.

Comment

You can also check your /etc/fstab file to see if an entry for this device is present. If it is, you can either delete it or just comment it out.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Booted with SD card in machine; now boot halts until I hit "S" -- Solved

Turns out you were right and my brute force method was wrong. I right-clicked on the entry, which brought up a page for the device, where I was able to uncheck -- dunnow how it got checked in the first place -- "mount at boot" option and now all is well.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have an aversion, based on an unfortunate incident about 15 years ago, to editing fstab!

Comment

Working...
          X