This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting to logout out yields no results

I did a search and found that a lot of people are experiencing a blank or black screen when logging out but I have a different and unique issue.

When I select any of the buttons in the "Leave" area of the K menu nothing happens at all. I can't logout, reboot, shutdown or anything. My machine does not go unresponsive nor does it goto a black or blank screen, it just does nothing at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Only way I have found so far to resolve this is to pull up Konsole and sudo reboot now and well this is not the best option. I would like to be able to once again log out of my system like I normally could.

Thanks,
    -Eric

Re: Attempting to logout out yields no results

I'm not having that problem, but you might want to take a look at the "[Shutdown]" stanza at /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc. If the applicable line looks like this:

Code:
    #HaltCmd=
    you might try opening it with your text editor in root mode, and editing it so it reads like this:

Code:
    HaltCmd=/sbin/shutdown -h now

Note that I removed the "#" from in front of the line. The change will not be effective until KDM is restarted. You test it by exiting to the tty console with Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in there, and then issue:

Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    Code:
    sudo service kdm start

Comment

I experience that my USB laser duplex printer does not initialize properly. I can tell when that happens because the "HP" tool icon in the system tray does not appear, my wicd icon doesn't appear (although I have a connection), and "Restart", "Logout" and "Shutdown" do not work.

Loading the HP tool from the menu doesn't help. Neither does loading wicd from the menu. But, I'm from the old school, and I always run with the keyboard sequence "Alt+Ctl+Bksp" set to force an xserver reboot. Using that key sequence causes shuts down the xserver, which causes the login screen to re-appear. When I log in again the printer initializes properly and its icon (and the other one it blocks) appears in the system tray. THEN, the "Restart", "Logout" and "Shutdown" work.

Using Dibl's suggestion you can modify the other options: -r (reboot) or -p (power down) would be
      Code:
      RebootCmd=/sbin/shutdown -r now
      HaltCmd=/sbin/shutdown -p now
      and doing the rest of what he wrote.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok, so here is what my current [Shutdown] stanza looks like in kdmrc

Code:
        BootManager=None
        HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
        RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot
        Let me add to my previous post. When I hit "CTLR+ALT+DEL" which should log out the user it does nothing. When I hit "CTRL+ALT+BKSPCE" it does nothing, when again it should restart KDM. I have checked that the shortcuts have not been deleted in the Keyboard configuration area of the System Settings as well.

When I click the Lock button, that works just fine, but none of the other buttons work inside the K Menu->Leave area.

Just a little annoyed at this. I would like to be able to logout and login again as I used to do.

Thanks for the attempted help so far folks.

-Eric

Comment

To make Alt+Ctl+Bksp active open System Settings --> Device Input --> Keyboard --> Advanced (tab) and check the option in the middle of the panel that activates it.

I mistakenly thought that my HP system tray icon was causing the problem. By accident I removed the auto loading of KMail and I had no delays with the other icons and no problems calling up the "Leave" dialog, including Logout, reboot and shutdown.

I reordered the system tray icons so that KMail is last because it always asks me for my ISP password, which was probably causing a delay and the problem.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X