This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost session?

I've run into an issue where I log into kubuntu (using KDE 4.5.3, Lucid 10.04), and all I see is default wallpaper and nothing else -- no task bar, no more icons on desktop, nothing.

This happened after I had to "hard" turn off my laptop by holding power button because the screen-saver or power settings would not enable black screen to show me desktop again. This seems to happen every couple months or so, and I had never had a problem before.

But now I don't see any desktop icons, taskbar, etc. upon logging in again.

I can still get krunner to run by hitting Alt-F2, in fact I think everything would still run. Krunner shows that plasma-desktop and kwin are running, among other things.

I tried changing my login settings to start with a new session (instead of last session), but that did not make any difference.

Anyone know what the problem is or what file might be messed up?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: lost session?

Well, I got around this by unlocking widgets, creating the default panel, then adding my desktop icons and any other widgets back into place. I did not have any other workspaces created.

I am not sure how this happened, but my hard reboot must have somehow corrupted the kde files. I think I might make a backup of my entire /.kde/share/config directory in case this happens again.

Anyone else ever had their KDE plasma workspace get corrupted?

Thanks,
    Chris

Comment

Re: lost session?

I have seen this happen to me a couple of times over the years, but not quite as drastic. last one I remember was definitely after a power outage, but all I lost was the taskbar on the panel.

If you poke into ~/.kde/share/config you will see a ton of files in there. replacing all of them is probably a bit overkill, but for desktop related issues, the plasma* files are the ones that you want to look at in this particular case.

Comment

Working...
      X