X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound with Kubuntu 10.04

Hi All

I have never been able to get any sound (CD, wave, flac, ogg, mp3 etc) on an install of 10.04.
    I have just done a complete re-install following some other problems (now resolved) but still no sound.

Multimedia configuration shows the info for the on board sound system :HDA Nvidia (ALC662 rev1)
    The mixer has "Master", Front", & "PCM" listed all sliders set to max yet I get absolutely no sound.
    Player programs, e.g. Rhythmnbox, show media playing but there is no sound output.
    A similar (but not identical PC) also with on-board NVidia sound system worked first time.

I have also tried a plug-in sound card and it still didn't work.
    (It all works fine when running Windows XP)

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
    Keith
    AMD Athlon II Quad core 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB graphics, 1x370GB sata HDD, 1x700GB sata HDD, 1xDVDRW, 1xDVDROM

Re: No Sound with Kubuntu 10.04

The first thing to check is to see if anything in kmix is muted. This is iirc a fairly common issue in KDE in your version iirc
    you can also check from the commandline wit alsamixer, you can use your arrow keys to move from section to section, and make sure each one does not have "mm" at the bottom - hitting your 'm' key toggles the mute.

Comment

Hi claydoh

The alsamixer display seems OK, the only sliders with "MM" in the box were the MIC inputs and SPDIF. most of the others had "00" in the box and various dB levels shown.

Keith
      AMD Athlon II Quad core 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB graphics, 1x370GB sata HDD, 1x700GB sata HDD, 1xDVDRW, 1xDVDROM

Comment

Searching through this forum it appears Linux sound problems rarely get fixed so I have added some extra info on my system which may prove useful to anybody in the know who might be able to help:

Motherboard:
        Elite GForce 6100PM-M2
        NVidia GForce 6150SE/ nforce 430
        Audio system is Intel HDA

(All works fine on Windows)

Keith

Comment

As you see in my signature info, I have Intel HDA sound on my laptop. Works fine in Lucid, Maverick, and Natty. What you have to look for in alsamixer is that the Master and PCM volumes are not zero. This is what my alsamixer looks like running Natty:
          Code:
          [color=blue]┌──────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.24.2 ─────────────────────────────┐
          │ Card: HDA Intel                   F1: Help        │
          │ Chip: Conexant CX20549 (Venice)           F2: System information │
          │ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture F5: All       F6: Select sound card │
          │ Item: Master [dB gain: 0.00, 0.00]          Esc: Exit        │
          │                                       │
          │  ┌──┐    ┌──┐    ┌──┐               ┌──┐    ┌──┐  │
          │  │[color=red]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │ │    │ │  │
          │  │[color=red]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │ │    │ │  │
          │  │[color=white]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │[color=white]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  │[color=white]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │[color=white]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │[color=white]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │    │ │               │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │               │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │               │[color=green]▒▒[/color]│    │ │  │
          │  ├──┤    ├──┤    ├──┤    ┌──┐    ┌──┐    ├──┤    ├──┤  │
          │  │[color=white]00[/color]│    │[color=white]00[/color]│    │MM│    │[color=white]00[/color]│    │[color=white]00[/color]│    │[color=white]00[/color]│    │MM│  │
          │  └──┘    └──┘    └──┘    └──┘    └──┘    └──┘    └──┘  │
          │ 100<>100  30<>30   0<>0               86    0<>0  │
          │[color=red]< Master >[/color]  [color=white]PCM[/color]    [color=white]Mic[/color]    [color=white]S/PDIF[/color]  [color=white]S/PDIF Def[/color]  [color=white]Beep[/color]  [color=white]Internal M[/color] │
          │                                       │
          └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘[/color]
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

your board has a Realtek ALC662 6-channel audio chipset, so it is well supported in linux. So trying what Snowhog suggests might fix it

Comment

As mentioned earlier AlsaMixer is fine. Apart from "MIC" and SPDIF" (MM) all sliders are 00 with the colour bars near the top of the display.

I've done a trawl through the "no sound with Ubuntu" help pages, checking for correct entries etc. going through each step but still no joy.

I've done several install/re-installs of Kubuntu 10.04 since it was first released and I never get any sound - everything else seems fine.

I have dual boot with Windows XP and all sound fuctions are OK on Windows.

EDIT I have now found that since the last re-install, a few days ago, the sound does work on line out but not through headphones (front out). Rather strange that?
              FUTHER EDIT It will not play CDs or DVDs - claims there is no disc but shows up in file manager and can copy data from data CD.
              I also get a message that "Jack Connection Unit does not work" which I always have had. What does Jack Connection Unit do?

Keith

Comment

I had the same problem in WINE, and it turned out that I had to install Pulseaudio to get things working. Now, I was under the impression that Pulseaudio was the default sound server, so having to manually install it was a little odd.

I still don't have sound in Flash, but that doesn't bug me too much. Most sound-producing Flash is just really annoying ads anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X