This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] no GUI after update?

I just upgraded to lucid from kharmic and my GUI's disappeared--I'm stuck at the command prompt.

I tried "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop"

and it tells me that I already have the most current version of kde installed

I tried "/etc/init.d/kdm start"

and it tells me that kde is already running.

hmmm.
    I'm not sure what to do next (other than ind my old install disk and revert to gosh, IDK, jaunty? I guess that was my last physical disk)

I updated because I wanted (needed) the latest WINE in order to deal with the newest WoW patch.

Any advice is appreciated--please bear in mind that the only command I'm really comfortable typing is "go north. open mailbox"

Re: no GUI after update?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    this is the command to make sure all kubuntu-related things are installed
    Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    use this to stop kdm, as you see from your error, it is already running (KDM, not KDE), then try starting it:
    Code:
    sudo service kdm start
    If that still does not work, post any errora here
    Also try this after stopping kdm again:
    Code:
    startx
    This ine will try and start a gui session without using a login manager, and will give more detailed error messages.

Also, video hardware info would also be useful

Comment

thanks for your help!

Here's what happened:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

already have the most updated version of kde running

sudo service kdm stop
      kdm stop/waiting

sudo service kdm start
      kdm start/running, process 1312

at this point the screen flickers to black and then back to the command prompt.

sudo service kdm stop
      kdm stop/waiting

startx
      bunch of welcome to Ubuntu stuff...

FATAL: Module nvidia not found...failed to load the NVIDIA kernal module...

FATAL ERROR: no screen found

I use an nvidia graphics card (not sure which one) and I seem to remember that it caused problems before after an upgrade.

Comment

You'll need to reinstall the Nvidia driver. You can either use the System > Hardware Drivers utility, or the downloaded proprietary installer (best to use the same method you previously used):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

thanks for the link!

I've successfully removed nouveau but am having trouble installing the nvidia driver.

I'm going to try unplugging my monitor cable from the nivida thingy and plugging it into the computer's thingy and see if I can't get a GUI that way after a reboot. I think I'll have better luck downloading and installing when I can actually muck about in adept.

Comment

hmm. no luck. perhaps because I already removed nouveau?

so far this is what I know:

There is no NVIDIA driver installed.
            I need to install the NVIDIA driver.

my question is:

Since I can't access the GUI to muck about in adept, how do I download and install the nvidia driver from the command prompt?

Comment

you can install the nvidia driver from the command prompt:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
              this will install the nvidia driver
              then run
              Code:
              sudo nvidia-xconfig
              to regenerate the xorg settings
              then reboot,

I haven't used Nvidia in a number of years, so I am a bit out of the loop. I am not sure what video cards are supported by whiich nvidia driver, so you may want to run the lspci command and write down any video card related info you see

Comment

Awesome! You are a super-genius! I'm at the login screen and it's so pretty! But wait, what's this?

A little box appears in the upper left corner. It says "Could not start ksmserver. Check your install." If I click okay then it pops me back to the login screen. Rinse and repeat.

I feel like we're making progress!

Comment

ok. So I've ctrl+alt+F1'd and entered "sudo chown sarah ~/.Xauthority" but this hasn't changed much (that I can tell)

hmmm. I'm about ready to give up for the evening and try again tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the help/advice! you guys are awesome!

*rebooted*
                  after logging in (at the login screen!!! so exciting!) and encountering the evil white dialog box then pressing okay to return to the login screen and ctrl+alt+F1-ing to return to the command prompt I encountered the following message:

FATAL: Module wlan not found.

Comment

No genius here, at least on my part , I have screwed/broken/fixed up my stuff often enough over the years, some of the repair methods kinda stick in my head

You may need to change ownership of your entire /home dir:

Code:
                    sudo chown -Rv <username>.<username> /home/username
                    the '-Rv' tells it to go recursively into any subdirectory and do the operation on all files, and to print all the stuff on your screen it is doing

Comment

clarification:

am I typing the above in exactly as written or do I need to figure out what my user name is before proceeding. I'm pretty sure my username is sarah.

thanks for your patience!

Comment

well, assumning you login using that name, you need to substitute that in nthe command

sudo chown -Rv sarah:sarah /home/sarah

Note the ":" above, I did a typo in the first one

Comment

Thanks for clarifying.

It was super exciting to watch everything scroll so furiously up the screen (who knew I had so very many world of warcraft files?) but, sadly, it did not resolve the issue. I'm still stuck at the login screen.

What a great learning opportunity this is! I've been doing all sorts of research into files and directories and it's absolutely fascinating. I've also learned a lot about virtual consoles.

Comment

ok, the next step is to try starting the xserver directly - without using the login manager. This will hopefully produce more explicit errors on what may be going on

Code:
                            startx

Comment

Fatal server error:
                              Server is already active for display 0
                              If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log.
                              Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up.
                              xinit: Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11): unable to connect to Xver
                              xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

would that command be "rmdir /tmp/.X0-lock" and then "reboot"?

Comment

Working...
                              X