Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Setup a USB to Network Print Server Device?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Setup a USB to Network Print Server Device?

The GPSU21 is supposed to be 100% Linux compatible, but, of course, the manf web site doesn't have any information on Linux setup. Thanks in advance.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: How Do I Setup an IOGEAR GPSU21 USB Print Server?

I'd think you can set it up in CUPS by navigating to http://localhost:631/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: How Do I Setup an IOGEAR GPSU21 USB Print Server?

Snowhog; I think I've read that CUPS admin site from end to end and I'm more confused now than I was before I started. I know the device is able to use the ipp interface which is apparently one of the best according to my research, but I have no idea how to implement what I'm reading.

Getting the IP Address

Every network printer or print server has a unique Internet Protocol (IP) address associated with it. This address is either configured manually or set using an automatic network protocol such as the Boot Protocol (BOOTP), Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP), Reverse Address Resolution Protocol (RARP), or ZeroConf.

You can normally find the IP address of a printer on the printer's control panel or by printing the configuration or status page. The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) can also be used to get the IP address remotely, which happens automatically when you visit the CUPS administration web page or choose an available CUPS device when adding a printer.
      Configuring the IP Address

When you first install a network printer or print server on your LAN, you need to set the Internet Protocol ("IP") address. Most higher-end "workgroup" printers allow you to set the address through the printer control panel. However, if you have many printers you will want to assign the addresses remotely - this makes administration a bit easier and avoids assigning duplicate addresses accidentally.

To setup your printer or print server for remote address assignment, you'll need the Ethernet Media Access Control ("MAC") address, also sometimes called a node address, and the IP address you want to use for the device. The Ethernet MAC address can often be found on the printer test page or bottom of the print server.
      Okay, that's great and I have the MAC address of the device, but that's it. What do I do with it to set up IPP printing? I'd also like to create a static IP address for my printer so all of our computers can access it when needed. Please advise.

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
      X