This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade - Get packages - download is super slow

I'm looking at doing a fresh install. I did one on this machine about a week ago and I was only getting about 80 kB/s which meant 5+ hours.

I have about a 2 mB/second connection.

How can I make sure that it will download packages faster?
    Is there a different mirror I could use?
    Is there a way to use bittorrent to download these packages since every kubuntu user already has most of them?

Edit: Forgot to mention I am doing the initial install from Kubuntu 8.04 DVD.
    Do I need to update the sources.lst or something?

Re: Upgrade - Get packages - download is super slow

Hi,
    I doubt looking for torrents of packages is going to help, because even if you did find the packages in a torrent, they would all likely need to be updated again anyways.

Your best option would be to choose another software mirror to download from. To do this you will need to go into Kpackagekit (or synaptic if installed) and change the software sources. I use Kubuntu Maverick Beta, and I know my Kpackagekit is different from 10.04's (and 8.04's) so I will have to give you a command line instruction to get to the software sources.

Use this command in your terminal (konsole)
    Code:
    kdesudo software-properties-kde
    When software properties opens, click on the dropdown menu for "Download From:" and choose "Other" from the list.
    Here you can choose any server you like, or let Kubuntu choose one for you by clicking on "Select Best Server".
    Clicking on "Select Best Server" performs a simple ping test (I think) to each server to determine which one is best for you.
    Once you have a mirror selected, click OK, then close the software properties window. It will then ask you to reload the repositories by clicking on a reload button.
    Now you should be able to download packages and update your system at a much faster download rate.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X